What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

THE FBG Fashion Thread :style: (1 Viewer)

I am looking for new winter boots and jacket for shoveling snow. Pretend I have a budget, but will spend more for things that last 10 years. 

I am looking for new winter boots and jacket for shoveling snow. Pretend I have a budget, but will spend more for things that last 10 years. 
I've had a pair of Sorels for 16 years kinda like these- I live in NYC, so don't have to trudge through tundra or anything, but winter slop here is nasty and these have been fantastic. Only have to replace the laces.

Not exactly :style: but do the job and dont get me ridiculed (to my face, at least)

I've had a pair of Sorels for 16 years kinda like these- I live in NYC, so don't have to trudge through tundra or anything, but winter slop here is nasty and these have been fantastic. Only have to replace the laces.

Not exactly :style: but do the job and dont get me ridiculed (to my face, at least)

These are great boots but they're a chore to put on. We have them but only use them when hiking in the snow or snow sledding and the like. 

For everyday use I would just get a pair of chocolate Timberlands. I have tried and tried to replace my Timberland boots but have never found a suitable replacement.

I ordered the Sorels. They will be here on Saturday. Thanks for the recommendation.  Still looking for the next winter coat. 

I ordered the Sorels. They will be here on Saturday. Thanks for the recommendation.  Still looking for the next winter coat. 
hope you saw the follow up conversation... they are big and clunky, and a bit of a pain to take on and off, and to wear indoors (make a mess, if you wear them to work).

but for out and about trudging around in the snow- they're fantastic.

The Sorels are on sale at Zappos - $127.50 down from $170.  

Holiday party season. What’s the go-to get-up for you stylish gentlemen? Seeing the turtleneck sneak back into the fashion world, matched with suits and boots. 

how will you go full @Major this year?

Holiday party season. What’s the go-to get-up for you stylish gentlemen? Seeing the turtleneck sneak back into the fashion world, matched with suits and boots. 

how will you go full @Major this year?

I like turtleneck with jacket and some slick boots, chelsea boots are an easy call.

More casual party, family events, I love the shawl collar look. I really dislike classic sweaters with crew neck, and any kind of elastic on the waist is a deal breaker. Basically, I think the classic sweater looks bad on guys. So I have probably collected 5 different styles of sweater that doesn't fit that classic mold. 

Lightweight style 

Cardigan style

Button Mock

Maybe too casual for office party, but this is a recent purchase that I an going to wear a TON

I like turtleneck with jacket and some slick boots, chelsea boots are an easy call.

More casual party, family events, I love the shawl collar look. I really dislike classic sweaters with crew neck, and any kind of elastic on the waist is a deal breaker. Basically, I think the classic sweater looks bad on guys. So I have probably collected 5 different styles of sweater that doesn't fit that classic mold. 

Lightweight style 

Cardigan style

Button Mock

Maybe too casual for office party, but this is a recent purchase that I an going to wear a TON
V-neck sweater with button down shirt is a timeless look (literally timeless, I remember watching a show about Marilyn Monroe and there is a picture of her with Arthur Miller, and this is what he's wearing, though his collars are not button down).

I also like the quarter zip sweater with collared shirt, though not as timeless most likely.

Lightweight style 

Cardigan style

Button Mock

how's the quality on Birdwell merchandise?

i keep getting ads for them and i'm curious, but don't know anyone who owns any of their product and haven't pulled the trigger on buying anything yet.

Lightweight style 

Cardigan style

Button Mock

exactly what I went with grey suit, black turtle, oxblood Chelsea boots (shout out to Thomas Bird...great looking boot), matching oxblood watch strap.

People still wear skinny jeans? 
Sure. 

I don't get too far beyond slim myself, see above. Those Selvedge will loosen up a little over time. 

Slim jeans with a bit of stretch to me seems to be the sweet spot. 

Skinny jeans themselves might be less trendy, fashion houses are pushing these over-baggy pants. I saw them in NYC on Asian twenty somethings. Meh. 

Sure. 

I don't get too far beyond slim myself, see above. Those Selvedge will loosen up a little over time. 

Slim jeans with a bit of stretch to me seems to be the sweet spot. 

Skinny jeans themselves might be less trendy, fashion houses are pushing these over-baggy pants. I saw them in NYC on Asian twenty somethings. Meh. 
yeah... these have been a vanguard in trend thing here in NYC for a bit now. wide-legged and a bit short as well. not omnipresent, but definitely more and more on the streets in more fashion-centric hoods.

but the skinny jeans/pants (not skin-tight) are still everywhere too

btw- the japanese selvedge you linked looked great, and great price too.

yeah... these have been a vanguard in trend thing here in NYC for a bit now. wide-legged and a bit short as well. not omnipresent, but definitely more and more on the streets in more fashion-centric hoods.

but the skinny jeans/pants (not skin-tight) are still everywhere too

btw- the japanese selvedge you linked looked great, and great price too.
Thanks. 

The baggy stuff looks terrible, for the most part. 

I get where the trend comes from, some designer is sick of looking at skinny jeans. But the fact is, slimmer pant silhouettes are more flattering. Skin tight jeans can look silly, but these baggy things will look as dumb as chunky Balenciaga sneakers do in a few months. 

Style, not fashion. 

I ordered those persimmon beauties linked above. I was on the fence, but they were pretty unique, and as you said, that price....

There's a nice denim shop round the corner from you, Self Edge, and it's $400 for everything in there. I'm just not sure the quality is 5x my Uniqlo Selvedge, which I've had for 8 months, 1 wash, and totally love ($65). 

There's a bit of fetish with these denim people, better to dip my toes in that pool, don't think I want to be in the deep end. 

Shoes, in the other hand, save me a spot in the deep end. I may have shared these already, but oh baby:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYZJqH3NHDY/?utm_medium=copy_link

Self Edge
yeah... I had a pair of Rick Owen's diffusion line (Dark Shadows) selvedge jeans that were starting to come apart at the seams from over use. I brought them in there, and they rethreaded the things with matching denim to sew-together holes and fix any seam issues... it's pretty amazing and bought me another bunch of years with them (starting to finally die). 

the wife is a fashion designer who used to have her own collection (when we met) and then ended up being a hired gun. she somehow segued into denim- was Jill Stuart Jeans designer and then American Eagle's head women's denim designer, helping that brand make a ton of money. she used to get me all kinds of denim from shopping trips around the world- I was flush with the stuff back then. and claimed there was a spot on... Mercer right below Houston? that was the pre-eminent spot in the US for japanese denim at the time... and seemed insanely expensive to me for buying a pair of jeans.

but those days are long gone, and Uniqlo is like a luxury brand to me at this point.

Lightweight style 

Cardigan style

Button Mock

Like the first one,  Cardigan looks too old fashioned for me.

Thanks. 

The baggy stuff looks terrible, for the most part. 

I get where the trend comes from, some designer is sick of looking at skinny jeans. But the fact is, slimmer pant silhouettes are more flattering. Skin tight jeans can look silly, but these baggy things will look as dumb as chunky Balenciaga sneakers do in a few months. 
Agreed. I have been dreading the eventual return to baggy. I’m hoping we hit a nice long stretch of clothes that fit before I have to break out the Skidz and hammer pants. 

Last edited by a moderator:
That's some ugly ####, but I can vouch for Gustin. Awesome jeans and I get all of my work polos and two pairs of low top leather shoes through them. 
In my experience their denim is great, but they likely should have stuck to that lane.  The shoes are decent, but over priced.  Stitching on their shirts is crap.  I bought two sweatshirts, one has held up and the other is falling apart (again, mostly stitching).

I'd buy jeans from them again, but won't buy anything else.  Significantly better quality can be found elsewhere for not much more in cost.

In my experience their denim is great, but they likely should have stuck to that lane.  The shoes are decent, but over priced.  Stitching on their shirts is crap.  I bought two sweatshirts, one has held up and the other is falling apart (again, mostly stitching).

I'd buy jeans from them again, but won't buy anything else.  Significantly better quality can be found elsewhere for not much more in cost.
I couldn't find the exact style I wanted in low top leather sneakers anywhere else. Haven't tried the sweats, only the polos. 

Got a pair of Lululemon sweats and a hoodie that are fantastic, but way too expensive 

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't find the exact style I wanted in low top leather sneakers anywhere else. Haven't tried the sweats, only the polos. 

Got a pair of Lululemon sweats and a hoodie that are fantastic, but way too expensive 
I haven't looked at their site in a long time, so I don't know what style of sneakers you got.  However, when I was looking a couple of years ago, they didn't sell any shoes that were unique to them.

I have a pair of Lululemon golf pants.  They are definitely expensive and were a "treat" to myself.  If they don't hold up, I wouldn't buy again.  However, if the quality lasts, I'd say they are worth the money.

Lululemon ABC pants (anti-ball crush) are fantastic. 

yeah... I had a pair of Rick Owen's diffusion line (Dark Shadows) selvedge jeans that were starting to come apart at the seams from over use. I brought them in there, and they rethreaded the things with matching denim to sew-together holes and fix any seam issues... it's pretty amazing and bought me another bunch of years with them (starting to finally die). 

the wife is a fashion designer who used to have her own collection (when we met) and then ended up being a hired gun. she somehow segued into denim- was Jill Stuart Jeans designer and then American Eagle's head women's denim designer, helping that brand make a ton of money. she used to get me all kinds of denim from shopping trips around the world- I was flush with the stuff back then. and claimed there was a spot on... Mercer right below Houston? that was the pre-eminent spot in the US for japanese denim at the time... and seemed insanely expensive to me for buying a pair of jeans.

but those days are long gone, and Uniqlo is like a luxury brand to me at this point.
I'm just happy I don't live in NYC and have to look good these days.  Feels like fashionable stuff is past me now. 

What I was hoping people could help me with is shoes.  I'm looking for casual shoes for the office.  Specifically, I would like loafers but I need ones whose sole is rubber.  I've bought pairs of shoes in the past only to find out they're more like skates than shoes because they would have no grip on the ground.

I used to buy Cole Haan loafers but their quality really went downhill the last 5 years or so.

Please hit me up with options!

Thanks, Spike.

Users who are viewing this thread