What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Demaryius Thomas (1 Viewer)

Demaryius Thomas (questionable, hamstring) is expected to play in Week 5 against the Eagles.

Thomas "looked good" in practice this week. All signs point to him returning Sunday, allowing Jamison Crowder to move back to the slot. Thomas should upgrade the Jets offense, but his floor is low with Luke Falk making another start.

SOURCE: ESPN

Oct 5, 2019, 11:02 AM ET

Demaryius Thomas calls Patriots trade 'insulting'

"It was insulting, for sure. Once I got cut (on August 31), I could have just come here (to the Jets) and not stayed there and re-sign. When they re-signed me, I was thinking that I was good. Two weeks later, I was gone. So, it's like, 'Why did I waste my time?' Because at the end of the day, it was kind of a waste of time for me."

"It was disrespectful to me. Like, you know, you could trust me and I could trust you. You told me when you cut me at the (final) cut, sit around you'll bring me back. And I stayed. I could have easily become a Jet once I got cut.... I could have been here the next day after I got released. But I chose to stay."

"Coach (Belichick) came up to me and was like, 'Uh, we got too many guys. We can't get the ball around enough and we're going to trade you to the Jets,'" Thomas said. "And that was that.... Ain't no reason to yell. They've won championships without me. I was only trying to be a part of something that was going to be good when I was there... They're doing a hell of a job."
Like I said before, this was a #### move by the Pats to trade Thomas. But that's ok though I guess... Oh well, bet they wish they had Thomas back now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like I said before, this was a #### move by the Pats to trade Thomas. But that's ok though I guess... Oh well, bet they wish they had Thomas back now.
Not so sure about that. DT was recovering from injury and carried a minimum of a $3 million cap hit (with the chance to make half of that in per game bonuses and another 50% in additional incentives). He's only played in a third of the snaps for the Jets. Sure, he'd be another body to have around while NE's current receivers are a little banged up. But he would have eaten up all their remaining cap room. Put another way, Thomas likely wouldn't really move the needle much in terms of making a big impact to the Pats.

Not so sure about that. DT was recovering from injury and carried a minimum of a $3 million cap hit (with the chance to make half of that in per game bonuses and another 50% in additional incentives). He's only played in a third of the snaps for the Jets. Sure, he'd be another body to have around while NE's current receivers are a little banged up. But he would have eaten up all their remaining cap room. Put another way, Thomas likely wouldn't really move the needle much in terms of making a big impact to the Pats.
I am not sure his salary would be the issue since I thought they cut him before Week 1 deadline and brought him back after thus not having to guarantee his $$. 

He had been handling practices during preseason and was close to full return.  I think the issue would be that with Edelman hurt, it gave Brady a reliable vet WR to target.  This would have been the benefit after the AB fiasco.  

DT has reached that "kick the tires" phase of his career and no one kicks tires like the Pats. It's part of that culture a lot of these players want to be a part of.

I am not sure his salary would be the issue since I thought they cut him before Week 1 deadline and brought him back after thus not having to guarantee his $$. 

He had been handling practices during preseason and was close to full return.  I think the issue would be that with Edelman hurt, it gave Brady a reliable vet WR to target.  This would have been the benefit after the AB fiasco.  
The contract numbers are the actual contract numbers for the contract they took on when they acquired DT from NE, While his contract isn't fully guaranteed, that's what it would run a team if he stayed on the roster the entire season.

As far as DT "looking good" in his one preseason game in Week 4 of the preseason, he was playing against defenders that aren't even in the league right now. Even though he put up decent numbers, several people commented that Thomas looked slow and looked like he lost a step. 

Part of the issue for TB12 has been his receivers haven't been getting separation. I am not sure an older DT still recovering from major surgery would have added much to the offense. He only put up 23-275-2 in half a season with the Texans when he was healthy. Not sure what he would have produced for the Pats post injury. We'll never know as he never played for NE.

DT isn't a superstar, but he's competent and the point is they need warm bodies right now. Sort of why the Pats pulled that stunt to keep him in the first place, that is until they got AB. In the end it might not matter if Harry Henderson can perform well, but I think that's far from a given.

The Patriots are 6-0 with the largest point differential in the NFL and someone thinks they regret cutting Thomas 🤣

Edelman, Meyers, Dorsett, Harry is more than enough for what they need to do on offense.  They would sign Antonio Brown again if it really helped them win football games.

Demaryius Thomas (hamstring) was "limited" on Thursday.

"Full" practices will be few and far between for 32-year-old Thomas in New York. Thomas has gone at least 4/40 each of the past two weeks, including 4/62 in Sam Darnold's Week 6 return. A repeat could be hard to come by vs. the Patriots' elite defense, leaving Thomas as little more than a WR5/6 afterthought for Week 7.

Oct 17, 2019, 4:34 PM ET

Jets WR Demaryius Thomas (hamstring) is questionable for the Jets' Monday night matchup against the Patriots.

DT is fully expected to suit up after doing so in each of the past two weeks despite dealing with the same issue. He caught 4-of-4 targets for 62 scoreless yards in his first game with Sam Darnold under center. The 31 year old doesn't hold much of a ceiling as the No. 3 pass-game option (at best) in most matchups, particularly against the league's best defense.

SOURCE: Jets on Twitter.

Oct 19, 2019, 4:51 PM ET

DT is going to crush the rest of the season based on how he was targeted last week.  Look at the schedule the Jets have.  Buy him cheap now or right after he has a bad game vs the Pats, because the rest of the season looks set up to absolutely smash with Darnold back and the schedule. 

Demaryius Thomas caught 3-of-9 targets for 42 yards in the Jets' Week 7 loss to the Patriots.

A revenge game of sorts for Thomas after his roster limbo with New England earlier in the summer, Thomas led the Jets in targets and drew several defensive penalties. On a night Sam Darnold completed just 11 passes and threw for 86 yards, Thomas easily had the best night of any Jets pass-catcher. He'll be a desperation WR4 next week in a date with the Jaguars.

Demaryius Thomas caught 3-of-9 targets for 42 yards in the Jets' Week 7 loss to the Patriots.

A revenge game of sorts for Thomas after his roster limbo with New England earlier in the summer, Thomas led the Jets in targets and drew several defensive penalties. On a night Sam Darnold completed just 11 passes and threw for 86 yards, Thomas easily had the best night of any Jets pass-catcher. He'll be a desperation WR4 next week in a date with the Jaguars.
DT looked decent last night, but to say he had 9 targets is a bit of a stretch....  Darnold was just heaving the ball a few times and DT was the 2nd closest person; the other was NEP DB. 

It was more like 5 catchable targets and 2 good def plays and 4 horrible throws in his general direction.  

Going forward, I like DT to pick up more value ONLY IF Darnold can come around and play better.  NEP Defense gave him fits. 

Demaryius Thomas (hamstring) is questionable for the Jets' Week 9 matchup against the Dolphins.

Thomas is fully expected to once again play through his questionable tag. Sam Darnold's target distribution to this point has been as follows: Jamison Crowder (36), Robby Anderson (29), Le'Veon Bell (19), Demaryius Thomas (18), Ryan Griffin (13), Vyncint Smith (6), Ty Mongtomery (4), Quincy Enunwa (3), Bilal Powell (1), Braxton Berrios (1) and Josh Bellamy (1). All the Jets WRs are set up extremely well against the Dolphins' banged up secondary, which will be without stud No. 1 CB Xavien Howard (knee, IR) for the remainder of the season. The Dolphins are one of just nine teams to have already allowed at least 30 completions of 20-plus yards.

Nov 1, 2019, 4:20 PM ET

Thomas looks like a sneaky buy in terms of he should have some big weeks against this soft schedule.  He's getting targeted a ton. 

Demaryius Thomas (hamstring) is questionable for the Jets' Week 10 matchup against the Giants.

DT has consistently played through his questionable tag throughout the season. He's finished with fewer than 50 receiving yards in four-of-six games this season and hasn't found the end zone. Robby Anderson and Jamison Crowder have proven capable of providing fantasy value in spurts inside of this pitiful offense. Still, Sam Darnold's general inability to throw the football in recent weeks gives the entire passing game a painfully low floor, even in this great matchup.

Nov 8, 2019, 3:57 PM ET

Demaryius Thomas caught 6-of-8 targets for 84 yards in Week 10 against the Giants.

Thomas came into the game questionable with a hamstring injury, and briefly exited before returning on the next series. This ended up one of his better performances after Thomas had been held to fewer than 50 yards in four of the six games he's been healthy. Thomas still doesn't have much redraft value, but he'll be on the streaming radar for a Week 11 matchup with the Redskins.

Demaryius Thomas (hamstring) was limited in Wednesday's practice.

As was Robby Anderson (back/shoulder), though both are expected to suit up against Washington. Given the pass-protection woes of New York's offensive line, the 31-year-old's floor is arguably higher than Anderson's at this point of the season. Fresh off a 6/84 outing against the Giants, Thomas will be ranked as a WR4/5 in Week 11.

SOURCE: New York Jets PR on Twitter

Nov 13, 2019, 4:47 PM ET

The Athletic's Connor Hughes reports the Jets are "still talking" with free agent Demaryius Thomas. 

It is the first we have heard of 32-year-old Thomas since the end of last season. Thomas, who knows coach Adam Gase from his Broncos days as well as last season, posted a sleepy 36/433/1 line in 11 games after Gang Green acquired him from the Patriots. He would make sense as a depth signing to round out the Jets' unimpressive receiver corps. 

RELATED: 

New York Jets

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Jul 1, 2020, 9:34 PM ET

Former Broncos WR Demaryius Thomas announced his retirement after 10 seasons in the NFL. 

Thomas, a 2010 first-round pick, was one of the NFL's most productive receivers during Peyton Manning's run with the Broncos, carving up defenses with wide receiver screens and outmuscling and outrunning defenders in Denver's high-powered offense. Thomas, 33, ranks second in receiving yards (9,655) and touchdown catches (60) and third in receptions (665) in Broncos history. Thomas, who played in Denver for nine years, is first in receiving yards per game (72.4) among Broncos who appeared in at least 30 games. Fantasy football's top scoring receiver in 2013, Thomas last played with the Jets in 2019, catching 36 of 58 targets for 443 yards and a touchdown.

RELATED: 

Denver Broncos

SOURCE: DenverPost.com 

Jun 28, 2021, 11:31 AM ET

Great career.  He faded out at the end but it's hard to overstate how great he was in the four year stretch from 2012-2015:

402 receptions, 5787 yards, 41 td's

I remember people being shocked when he went a couple of picks in front of Dez in the draft but he turned out to have a better career.

He's also one of the most extreme 3rd year breakout examples:

Year 1: 22/283/2

Year 2: 32/551/5

Year 3: 92/1430/14

I will always have a soft spot for him because he and Emmanuel Sanders won me my League title in 2014. His consistency that season was remarkable. From weeks 5 through 17 he had just one bad game.

Week    Opponent  Recs   Yards    TDs       PPR points

5            Ari         8            226        2            42.6

6            @NYJ    10          124        1            28.4   

7            SF          8            171        2            37.1     

8            SD          8            105        0            18.5   

9            @NE     7            127        0            19.7   

10          @Oak   11          108        0            21.8  

11          @StL     7            103        0            17.3

12          Mia       10          87          3            36.7 

13          @KC      6            63          1            18.3 

14          Buf        2            11          0            3.1  

15          @SD      6            123        1            24.3 

16          @Cin     7            115        0            18.5 

17          Oak       8            115        0            19.5 

Total disbelief, people that age do not normally just pass away especially since he just retired. 

I'm sure we'll find out more in the coming days. 

-I keep wanting to ask questions, I better just stop. 

Holy ####. I saw the thread bumped but didn't think anything of it. Then I just got the notice. WTH happened?!

No confirmed reason. They are saying he was in a car accident the other day and that it could have been complications from that. 

Holy ####. I saw the thread bumped but didn't think anything of it. Then I just got the notice. WTH happened?!
Found dead at his home in Georgia, that's just what I see on the top across Twitter headlines...found dead could mean many things. 

So sad to hear this and did not know anything about his recent car accident and the fallout. 

They are saying he was in a car accident the other day and that it could have been complications from that. 

found dead could mean many things. 
This is being reported but not confirmed....

Thomas died from medical complications stemming from a 2019 vehicle crash, KOA Broncos reporter Benjamin Allbright learned. He died in his home state of Georgia and had been reluctant to travel lately because of the lingering complications.

Thomas died from medical complications stemming from a 2019 vehicle crash, KOA Broncos reporter Benjamin Allbright learned. He died in his home state of Georgia and had been reluctant to travel lately because of the lingering complications.
That story doesn't go so well when you Google it I have to say but it's up to others how far they want to look into it, I had no idea. 

2019? That doesn't add up then. I thought it was not that long ago. 

Damn. This hits hard in multiple ways. DT was one of my favorite receivers. Loved his story, the fact that he came back from a devastating Achilles injury, the runaway reception from Tebow against the Steelers in the playoffs, plus he seemed like a pretty good dude.

My son died unexpectedly in his sleep shortly after his 3rd birthday in 2015 due to a suspected febrile seizure (this was the best guess). Shows you never know how much time you have on this earth and you had better appreciate every blessed day of it. 

RIP DT

Users who are viewing this thread