What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Josh Rosen, MIN (2 Viewers)

Rosen has played two seasons behind historically bad offensive lines.

Last season Arizona has 7 offensive linemen go on IR, to include all 5 starters

PFF ranked the Dolphins OL as the worst in the league before the season started.  That rank was given when Tunsil was still on the team too.  They've changed their start starting OL lineup 5 times in 5 games. I think they also have the worst average draft position starting OL in the league in the well. 

Add to the fact that he has played for 3-13 Steve Wilks and now 0-5 Brian Flores as his head coaches. 

I'm not saying the kid is good or will become good, but how can anyone be accurately evaluated considering the above. 
This is a fair observation for those of us who are third party observers.  But it's worth noting that two different coaching staffs have gotten to work with Rosen day-in day-out and have independently concluded that he's not the guy.  

I'd like to add negative 1 points for ints and fumbles lost.   The final tally is based on the  cumulative fantasy points gained during the 2019, 2020, and 2021 seasons.
Just making sure we are still tracking this. I have Daniel Jones and Haskins (whoever scores more); you have Rosen. Bet is as stated above for $100.

I may win this bet with just Jones’ stats for this year. Rosen may never see an NFL field again.

@wgoldsph, I just want to see if you're still around. We have a $100 bet on Jones/Haskins (me) and Rosen (you) on who does better over the next three years. I don't want to lose track of that.

Are you still super high on Rosen, or have you come around to the other side?

Add to the fact that he has played for 3-13 Steve Wilks and now 0-5 Brian Flores as his head coaches. 

I'm not saying the kid is good or will become good, but how can anyone be accurately evaluated considering the above. 
This is a fair observation for those of us who are third party observers.  But it's worth noting that two different coaching staffs have gotten to work with Rosen day-in day-out and have independently concluded that he's not the guy.  
Nothing but fan speculation, but there's chatter that the Saints could be intrigued with Rosen if Miami lets him go.

Some are saying that it's an attitude and motivation thing with Brian Flores and Rosen, something of a personality clash. That Rosen is basically a less-motivated version of Jay Cutler. Other Saints fans have their interests piqued and are chalking up all of Rosen's struggles to "bad teams" and "bad supporting casts". "Losing team cultures", etc.

Would it be insane talk for a coach like Sean Payton to be able to wring something positive out of Josh Rosen? Hypothetically?

Doug B said:
Nothing but fan speculation, but there's chatter that the Saints could be intrigued with Rosen if Miami lets him go.

Some are saying that it's an attitude and motivation thing with Brian Flores and Rosen, something of a personality clash. That Rosen is basically a less-motivated version of Jay Cutler. Other Saints fans have their interests piqued and are chalking up all of Rosen's struggles to "bad teams" and "bad supporting casts". "Losing team cultures", etc.

Would it be insane talk for a coach like Sean Payton to be able to wring something positive out of Josh Rosen? Hypothetically?
Why wouldn’t they just keep Bridgewater instead?

Sure. I guess I misunderstood the post I was quoting to mean Rosen as the starter should Brees  retire. Rosen as a backup would make more sense though.
I think the Saints would be interested in Rosen if Bridgewater moved on, and Brees stayed for 1 or 2 more years. Some are talking about Taysom Hill being a potential starter, honestly have no idea if that has any legs.

Sure. I guess I misunderstood the post I was quoting to mean Rosen as the starter should Brees retire. Rosen as a backup would make more sense though.
No, you understood correctly. Keep in mind that I'm talking about fan speculation, though -- not even a hint of any of this coming from the team.

The idea is that Rosen is only making 23 next month, and he's been with two career-killing franchises. And maybe he's got more potential than the inept Cardinals and Dolphins can tap into. Maybe, I said -- us Saints fans are coming from positions of ignorance regarding Rosen.

Hence this thread. Was wondering if Rosen had known episodes of bad attitude, not caring, not working on his game, sulking, etc. Or if he looks physically overmatched, even in practice and in preseason games. Or whatever the deal might be.

Was wondering if Rosen had known episodes of bad attitude, not caring, not working on his game, sulking, etc. Or if he looks physically overmatched, even in practice and in preseason games. Or whatever the deal might be.

from my understanding, that is exactly what raised red flags in the predraft process... he is a spoiled silver spoon entitled brat 
not necessarily bad attitude, but the Cutler comparison keeps coming up from Rosen's nonchalant attitude. lack of urgency was an issue for him in college, or the appearance of it, and he was one of those nurtured, entitled kids. mechanically he had the right tools, above the neck though he's just about what I expected in the NFL. he needs a lot of attitude tuning and would need a strong coach to get him there, if he can get there at all.

They start this guy all year and they will be in prime position to get Trevor Lawrence.
As a fan of the team, this is what I want to see happen. I’m spooked by Tua’s injury (injuries really), and I don’t want any part of him at 5, even if he looks relatively good at the combine. Let Rosen play a full season with a revamped roster and see what we have in him. 

I have a feeling that they are going to draft Tua and redshirt him in 2020 with Fitzpatrick starting though. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Miami Herald's Armando Salguero said it's "likely" that Josh Rosen remains on the Dolphins "barring something unexpected."

This wasn't necessarily a formal report but more of a prognostication based on the team's words and actions. It's widely assumed the Dolphins will be eyeing a quarterback with a top pick in this draft, and they just re-signed Ryan Fitzpatrick to be their bridge guy. That leaves Rosen in the shadows once again. Now that Rosen has done nothing in two years with two teams, it's hard to see another team acquiring him with legit draft capital, so all signs point to Rosen staying in Miami as a backup project. The good news is that he's cheap. Rosen has cap hits of $2.1 million and $2.9 million over the next two seasons, plus has a team option in 2022.

SOURCE: Miami Herald

Feb 19, 2020, 2:00 PM ET

NFL Network's Michael Giardi reports teams have called the Dolphins about Josh Rosen.

The Dolphins are reportedly "in no hurry to trade him." Rosen's trade value has to be close to nonexistent at this point even with his miniscule cap hits. He couldn't beat Ryan Fitzpatrick for the starting job in Miami last season and has been a well below-average passer whenever he's been on the field (career 5.7 yards per attempt with 12 TDs and 19 INTs). Miami Herald's Armando Salguero reported in February that it's "likely" that Rosen remains on the team, but he'll probably serve as the team's No. 3 quarterback behind Fitzpatrick and Tua Tagovailoa in 2020.

SOURCE: Mike Giardi on Twitter

May 20, 2020, 10:01 PM ET

Omar Kelly @OmarKelly

Please don't get my words twisted. Has Josh Rosen fixed all his problems? NO. Is Rosen better than Fitzpatrick? NO. Did he outperform Fitzpatrick this week? NO. But he damn sure closed the Mississippi River sized gap.

I'm just curious what happens if Flores opened the door?
https://twitter.com/omarkelly/status/1296564885417910272?s=21

Omar Kelly @OmarKelly

Brian Flores has typically rewarded strong performers with elevated roles. That's how he operated last season. If that's consistent and carries over to this camp then Josh Rosen and Myles Gaskin deserve an elevation.
https://twitter.com/omarkelly/status/1296565306605948928?s=21

I'm not totally surprised here, its still totally within reason that Rosen is a useful QB. He's still only what, 23? He's had the 2 worst OL's in the league back to back years. I still believe there could be a quality backup QB here, and perhaps a low end starter. 

I'm really surprised nobody came calling after Tua was drafted. Maybe they did and just offered peanuts. Personally, I think Rosen is still a better prospect than any of the rookies drafted after round 3 this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Dolphins are receiving trade inquiries about QB Josh Rosen. 

It's hard to imagine a team champing at the bit to acquire Rosen, the former No. 10 NFL draft pick. With rookie QB Tua Tagovailoa healthy enough to start the season, Miami is looking to get something for Rosen if a team wants him as a backup. The Dolphins reportedly fielded trade requests for Rosen back in May too. If he stays with Miami, Rosen will be the team's third stringer. 

RELATED: 

Tua Tagovailoa

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Sep 3, 2020, 12:47 PM ET

Do we honestly know this yet?  If Rosen's confidence is not completely shot by this point, I still believe he can be a serviceable QB in the NFL. 

Can we see him play behind a top 25 offensive line before we say that?
Yes. We know this.

I said it all during his rookie year. I said it all during the summer when he was traded. I said it all during last year. And I'll keep saying it. I even bet on it upthread and I'm going to win $100 next year. This guy is no good.

I watched every snap of his in Arizona. He was disinterested, and just plain bad. He has show absolutely nothing in the NFL. It's not like he was derailed by injuries. The Cardinals drafted him at #10 and then moved on from him the next year. That's a serious indictment. The best they could get was a late second round draft pick. He couldn't beat out an old journeyman QB last year in Miami. And now they are looking to trade him again. I'm not sure what else it takes to show people that he is no good.

The guy is just really bad.

Yes. We know this.

I said it all during his rookie year. I said it all during the summer when he was traded. I said it all during last year. And I'll keep saying it. I even bet on it upthread and I'm going to win $100 next year. This guy is no good.

I watched every snap of his in Arizona. He was disinterested, and just plain bad. He has show absolutely nothing in the NFL. It's not like he was derailed by injuries. The Cardinals drafted him at #10 and then moved on from him the next year. That's a serious indictment. The best they could get was a late second round draft pick. He couldn't beat out an old journeyman QB last year in Miami. And now they are looking to trade him again. I'm not sure what else it takes to show people that he is no good.

He had about 2 wow throws for Miami last year out a hundred or more plays I saw. He has the arm, some mobility, but poor pocket presence and no ability to quickly  find the open guy. He would need more than a top 25 line to do well. 

Yes. We know this.

same goes back to his ucla days. there's really nothing special about him and he's simply not NFL material. only what-if he had on his side was he had a bad o-line in college too and all through NFL so far, but he hasn't shown any sign of life. he's a worse version of Cutler with his attitude without the skills.

At least the Cards were able to recoup a 2nd outta the debacle.
And a 5th round pick in 2020. At the time he was traded to Miami, I heard a lot of callers on sports radio saying to trade for Rosen, but don't give up a 2nd because no other team is intetested. Arizona had no leverage, it seemed.

Cutting him now surprised me because I thought he'd have some value if a team had a QB injury, or COVID issue. 

Teams where I think Rosen would be an upgrade at QB2:

Bengals-Brandon Allen and Ryan Finley offer less.

Broncos-Jeff Driskel is a better runner than passer. Not really Denver's offense.

Texans-Younger and more upside than McCarron.

Jaguars-Mike Glennon offers nothing.

Rams-McVay would be the guy to get something out of Rosen, and Rams have solid weapons. OL still an issue.

Bucs-Arians/Brady would be a great place to learn from.

Titans-Trevor Siemian?

And a 5th round pick in 2020. At the time he was traded to Miami, I heard a lot of callers on sports radio saying to trade for Rosen, but don't give up a 2nd because no other team is intetested. Arizona had no leverage, it seemed.

Cutting him now surprised me because I thought he'd have some value if a team had a QB injury, or COVID issue. 
Will be interesting to see if he's claimed. He was due this and next in essence lower-level backup QB money.

He's in a real rough position. 2 different staffs have given up on him in his first 2 years in league (i.e. he hasn't built the connections to be a system plug and play like many teams want in a backup. Particularly this close to the season).

Obviously terrible 2 staffs have dumped him in 2 years but really bad sign for his NFL future in total if not claimed given his salary.

Pro Football Focus' Steve Palazzolo compares UCLA junior QB Josh Rosen to former FSU QB Jameis Winston.

"From the early high expectations to a risk/reward playing style to the pure numbers that put both players in similar light," Palazzolo writes, "Rosen and Winston have a lot in common." In terms of the raw numbers, the analyst ticks off several marks that are remarkably similar from Winston's final collegiate season in 2014 and Rosen's work during the current campaign, including adjusted completion percentage (72.6% for Winston, 71.6% for Rosen), passer rating under pressure (69.5 for Rosen, 66.6 for Winston) and adjusted completion percentage on passes of 20-plus yards (39.4% for Rosen, 39.3% for Winston). Winston spun all this fine work into the No. 1 overall pick in the draft, something that Rosen is very much in play for come the spring.
Great.

Sometimes draft capital is a sickness. Makes it hard for people to completely move on from players who are obviously not good. 

Users who are viewing this thread