What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was it flu or the coronavirus? FDA authorizes first COVID-19 antibody test

Finally getting some anti-body test, good news.

From the article, this doctor remembers getting some flu like symptoms the end of January, claims his test came back positive. Some tweets came in response saying the test could pick up other coronavirus anti bodies. The doc agreed cautions against too much optimism saying he's retesting today; but then he didn't post anything about the retest today. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Look, Fauci and a whole lot of other experts got this wrong early on.  That caused some inaction on the part of our government. But what has the government response been in the last 4-5 weeks since we all knew that this was coming, and it was going to be really bad?  There's also the previous de-funding of pandemic response teams and planning by the federal government. The US military probably has planned out responses for 1000s of scenarios, but a flu-like pandemic wasn't worth doing any planning on by the feds? The world just went through SARS and MERS recently!  The fact that no coherent response from the federal level came until like 2 weeks ago tells us everything.

To me, that's the real failure here, combined with some colossal screw ups at the CDC that put the US in a really bad place 2 months ago.  Still no real answer on who was responsible for that.

The US should have been able to mount a defense like South Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Singapore. Instead, our leaders and public health officials failed.

Um...see the part in red there? DN omitted the words "right now" and then inserted a period, implying that Fauci's sentence had ended.

It's literally the exact same thing that Tim did.

:own3d:
To be fair, I was watching Fox and paused and tried to write down the exact quote from Fauci.  I did not mean to leave out right now.

Regardless, it still makes my point perfectly well that the experts did not feel the virus was a threat and Trump was relying on them.

Um...see the part in red there? DN omitted the words "right now" and then inserted a period, implying that Fauci's sentence had ended.

It's literally the exact same thing that Tim did.

:own3d:
To be fair, I was watching Fox and paused and wrote down the exact quote from Fauci.  I am guessing Fox stopped the clip before Fauchi said right now.  
Dude, you're a liar.

You know how I know this?

Because the right wing blogosphere had already manipulated Fauci's quote before you even got a chance to selectively edit it.

They changed Fauci's quote so that "right now" came at the end. But I found the clip -- and Fauci actually says "right now" in the middle of the sentence. (link)

So, you couldn't have possibly "paused" the video to write down the exact quote -- otherwise you would have included "right now" in the proper context.

You're busted. Time to fire up Sneagor2.

To be fair, I was watching Fox and paused and wrote down the exact quote from Fauci.  I am guessing Fox stopped the clip before Fauchi said right now.  

Regardless, it still makes my point perfectly well that the experts did not feel the virus was a threat and Trump was relying on them.
I actually saw this tonight, on Hannity, and there  were two quotes. I did have the sense they were truncated. I also had the sense Fauci was saying 'at that time' and he also stressed that medical professionals were taking it very seriously. I don't think it was Fauci's job - especially then - to set off alarms or instruct Americans how to act. That was the responsibility of public officials. And I say that of my own public officials, in NO & LA. 

What I want to know is what was the CDC, NIH, HHS and IC telling the administration back then, what did they advise leadership about how to act. 

However I also think besides those quotes - which remind me of the games Barr used to play with Mueller - is why is Hannity raising them now. Tucker Carlson also raised them tonight on his show. Clearly there is a need felt to undercut Fauci while also use him as a shield to hide behind.

Dude, you're a liar.

You know how I know this?

Because the right wing blogosphere had already manipulated Fauci's quote before you even got a chance to selectively edit it.

They changed Fauci's quote so that "right now" came at the end. But I found the clip -- and Fauci actually says "right now" in the middle of the sentence. (link)

So, you couldn't have possibly "paused" the video to write down the exact quote -- otherwise you would have included "right now" in the proper context.

You're busted. Time to fire up Sneagor2.
You need to calm down.  I just watched the replay on Tucker Carlson and edited my post to say I missed it.  The funny thing is it doesn't matter one bit.  You must like to argue just to argue.

I actually saw this tonight, on Hannity, and there  were two quotes. I did have the sense they were truncated. I also had the sense Fauci was saying 'at that time' and he also stressed that medical professionals were taking it very seriously. I don't think it was Fauci's job - especially then - to set off alarms or instruct Americans how to act. That was the responsibility of public officials. And I say that of my own public officials, in NO & LA. 

What I want to know is what was the CDC, NIH, HHS and IC telling the administration back then, what did they advise leadership about how to act. 

However I also think besides those quotes - which remind me of the games Barr used to play with Mueller - is why is Hannity raising them now. Tucker Carlson also raised them tonight on his show. Clearly there is a need felt to undercut Fauci while also use him as a shield to hide behind, but again clearly there is some need to do that.
I think Tucker and Hannity both showed it tonight because of the Dems attacking Trump on his handling of the virus.  Showing that experts didn't see this as a big deal at the start is huge for Trump.

Man In The Box said:
What are your thoughts on how Trump is now ignoring Fauci about a national lockdown? 

I have an awful feeling that the next set of clips used against Trump will be those of him saying there are areas of the country that seem to have little or no problems at all. Those are going to backfire on him within the next few weeks. This thing is going to be everywhere soon. 
No Trump supporters want to touch on this? Is this just going to be deflected and taken out of context when the #### hits the fan in these areas? 

I can't help but imagine the headway that could have been made if Trump listened to the medical experts instead of what actually happened. Granted, this disease still would likely be a problem, but we'd be closer to the end of this compared to our current situation.

President Trump talking about ventilators this evening “We have a stockpile. It is a federal stockpile. We can use it for states, or we can use it for ourselves. We do use it for the federal government. We have a very big federal government.”‏

Can someone please tell me who he means when he says “ use it for ourselves”? I take it these people referred to as ourselves must not be from states? The federal government currently employs about 2 million (excluding the postal service) which would be spread across the entire country and overseas. 

Man In The Box said:
You guys waste so much energy and keystrokes on this. Not getting on you personally, but if they haven’t come around by now, it’s never going to happen. They’ll hold him accountable once he holds himself accountable and not a minute sooner. Don’t hold your breath on either happening though. 
They'll hold him accountable when he loses an election. If he doesn't the cult of Trump lives on

[scooter] said:
Wait a minute. Aren't you the guy who believes that "direct quote" means "full quote"? (Spoiler alert: yes, yes he is)

So, you criticize Tim for omitting words from a quote....but then when someone else does the same thing while agreeing with your position, you defend it?

That, my friends, is bias and partisanship wrapped up in a neat little package.
With perhaps just a sprinkle of hipocrisy?

@SaintsInDome2006 Following up on our Sweden thing yday, the head of the Swedish CDC who is in charge of implementing countermeasures has just admitted that they flubbed the ball in the early stages, didn't do enough to limit the spread and underestimated the severity of the virus. But they believe it it is too late to change the strategy now. And the Swedish Prime Minister at the same time announced that the Swedish people should be prepared for "thousands of deaths"

The implication of those two statements in tandem to me that some or rather a lot of those deaths could have been avoided with a stricter strategy. Ouch
Guessing there will be a lot of post outbreak fact finding and potentially some changes in organization (not just heads, but who's in charge of what)

This administration, in a nutshell- incompetent know-nothing Kushner makes the absurd claim that the national stockpile isn’t for the states, but for the federal government, and that states have their own stockpiles. Rather than put him in his place and have someone competent with some sort of medical/pandemic/disaster response experience, they go change the language on the website to reflect whatever he said yesterday. Then they double down and stand by his claim. Also, claims he is doing his own models and New York doesn’t need the ventilators they requested, and trump brags that they have 10,000 ventilators ready to go where they are needed. New York needs them, Michigan needs them. Why are you sitting on 10,000 ventilators right now?

US accused of ‘piracy’ over mask ‘confiscation’

The US has been accused of redirecting 200,000 Germany-bound masks for its own use, in a move condemned as "modern piracy".

The local government in Berlin said the shipment of US-made masks was "confiscated" in Bangkok.

The FFP2 masks, which were ordered by Berlin's police force, did not reach their destination, it said.

Andreas Geisel, Berlin's interior minister, said the masks were presumably diverted to the US.

The US company that makes the masks, 3M, has been prohibited from exporting its medical products to other countries under a Korean-War-era law invoked by President Donald Trump.

On Friday, Mr Trump said he was using the Defence Production Act to demand that US firms provide more medical supplies to meet domestic demand.

"We need these items immediately for domestic use. We have to have them," Mr Trump said at the daily Coronavirus Task Force briefing at the White House.

Image captionPresident Trump said medical supplies being diverted from abroad were needed urgently in the US

He said US authorities had taken custody of nearly 200,000 N95 respirators, 130,000 surgical masks and 600,000 gloves. He did not say where they were taken into US hands.

Mr Geisel said the diversion of masks from Berlin amounted to an "act of modern piracy", urging the Trump administration to adhere to international trading rules.

"This is not how you deal with transatlantic partners," the minister said. "Even in times of global crisis, there should be no wild-west methods."
Making more friends. #Winning

No idea. Maybe more private labs FL?

Seems to actually be an impressive number of tests on FL's part. 2nd highest number tested after NY, by far. FL has tested 30,000 more people than even NJ. 
Maybe because of drive up testing. I know they have a site at the convention center in Orange County and one in the Villages in Lake County.

Mr Anonymous said:
This will be so much fun going forward. Every time someone has factual proof of something I don't want to hear I am now going to proceed forward with the standard being, "Nah, doesn't sound like that's true to me." 

What a joy this will be!
Will be?  This has been going on in this forum for several years now...it's the new normal.  Frustrating isn't it?

For all the poo pooing of Florida, and I get it if you aren't following closely, DeSantis is really trying to follow the SK model of getting as much testing as possible.  He's been hammering it as issue #1 since the beginning.
But every state wants to test as many people as they can but haven’t had the access to enough tests to do anything like SK did.

Welcome to their safe space.....you’ve given it a tremendous effort to point out the inaccuracies and hypocrisy but I don’t think you will get anywhere. Fun to watch though. 😆
Safe space? People have been asking for Trump supporters to actually engage in real discussion.  For that...get mocked in the MAGA thread where any negative post is labeled trolling (most of the time by you).

Now...anything bout this actual topic?

I think Tucker and Hannity both showed it tonight because of the Dems attacking Trump on his handling of the virus.  Showing that experts didn't see this as a big deal at the start is huge for Trump.
IF Trumps guys and the Federal Government didn't think it was a big deal at the start....that reflects negatively on Trump.  

This administration, in a nutshell- incompetent know-nothing Kushner makes the absurd claim that the national stockpile isn’t for the states, but for the federal government, and that states have their own stockpiles. Rather than put him in his place and have someone competent with some sort of medical/pandemic/disaster response experience, they go change the language on the website to reflect whatever he said yesterday. Then they double down and stand by his claim. Also, claims he is doing his own models and New York doesn’t need the ventilators they requested, and trump brags that they have 10,000 ventilators ready to go where they are needed. New York needs them, Michigan needs them. Why are you sitting on 10,000 ventilators right now?
The President was asked about his son in law’s claim about the national stockpile, the result was predictable.

I’m uncertain.  My first thought is why isn’t 3M directing those masks to the U.S. in the first place?
Sure...but once ordered and on their way...confiscating items meant for police in Germany getting yanked and pulled back?  Not good.

Though, 3M can sell to wherever...and should provide to all who need them as well.  Do they have an obligation here over elsewhere in the world?

Though, 3M can sell to wherever...and should provide to all who need them as well.  Do they have an obligation here over elsewhere in the world?
I may have it wrong but my understanding is that Trump could have ordered them to produce for the US only as part of the DPA.

Seems like that has happened now, after the fact however.

I may have it wrong but my understanding is that Trump could have ordered them to produce for the US only as part of the DPA.

Seems like that has happened now, after the fact however.
Im not sure the DPA prevents them from selling overseas though.  As long as they are producing what the federal government required...I think they are free to keep producing and selling anywhere.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/03/coronavirus-3m-tells-trump-halting-exports-would-reduce-number-of-masks.html

@SaintsInDome2006 Following up on our Sweden thing yday, the head of the Swedish CDC who is in charge of implementing countermeasures has just admitted that they flubbed the ball in the early stages, didn't do enough to limit the spread and underestimated the severity of the virus. But they believe it it is too late to change the strategy now. And the Swedish Prime Minister at the same time announced that the Swedish people should be prepared for "thousands of deaths"

The implication of those two statements in tandem to me that some or rather a lot of those deaths could have been avoided with a stricter strategy. Ouch
Guessing there will be a lot of post outbreak fact finding and potentially some changes in organization (not just heads, but who's in charge of what)
That's so sad. I've seen a couple articles from a week or so ago about the Swedes' belief in the specialness of their society as a way of sort of insulating them from all this. I don't know if that's a kind of arrogance or what. In the end some societies have just refused to accept what they have to do to deal with this.

Im not sure the DPA prevents them from selling overseas though.  As long as they are producing what the federal government required...I think they are free to keep producing and selling anywhere.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/03/coronavirus-3m-tells-trump-halting-exports-would-reduce-number-of-masks.html
I was wondering about that piece as well, I was under the impression US companies were still permitted to sell outside US. It might be that was just an excuse for the seizing of the equipment.

I was wondering about that piece as well, I was under the impression US companies were still permitted to sell outside US. It might be that was just an excuse for the seizing of the equipment.
The wording appears to request they do so...not require.  And 3M's response is right...if we start doing that all over, other countries will likely retaliate and cut off things sent here.  

Florida has tested 91,000. Michigan has tested 24,000. Why the disparity? 
Florida has more than double the number of people and more large cities. In Michigan, the illness is pretty much concentrated in 2 neighboring counties. Also where did you get those numbers? I read something recently critical of Michigan because maybe a week ago they stopped reporting the numbers for negative tests so that number might not be accurate. 

An article as to why his approval on coronavirus remains higher than you'd expect. It doesn't help when the liberal media get somethings wrong and don't correct it however. Sure he didn't exactly say that the coronavirus is a hoax so take that out of your argument and say we shouldn't have said this. There is plenty of other evidence of a botched administrative response.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/wondering-whats-behind-trumps-improved-poll-numbers-his-attacks-on-the-press/2020/04/03/e23c7880-7527-11ea-87da-77a8136c1a6d_story.html

"Because Trump is accomplishing what he set out to do when he launched his presidential bid: bring down the press in the public eye to the point where his word, not ours, is believed."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread