What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (11 Viewers)

First, some apparently healthy people are getting very sick and needing ICU attention.   Some of those are dying.  
Sorry if I missed this, but are there links to details of this?

Also, I think the key here is "apparently" healthy [young] people.  Very likely, IMHO, that there were undiagnosed pre-existing conditions that likely contributed to this...

Yea, let's let us police our humor?

If someone crosses the line we can self police. Most humor is not meant in malice but in dealing with a situation were all uneasy and unfamiliar with at different levels of awareness. 

[Vinegar] hasn't been proven not to be and it's effective against everything else. It's a form of acetic acid which is what some hospitals use to clean so I trust that it's fine. 
I believe the issue with vinegar is that the home version is too diluted. Regualr ol' white vinegar is effective against mildew (and other fungi) and bacteria, but it takes longer than a quick swipe to work. You're supposed to wipe a surface nice and wet with liberal use of vinegar, let is set for some time (sometimes see 30 minutes mentioned) and then go back again and wipe all the vinegar off.

Now ... with more concentrated forms of acetic acid, you can disinfect pretty well. Get some 100% pure acetic acid. Pour on hand. Notice that freakish burning and that god-awful blistering on your hand? Well, that happens to viruses, too -- just have to have a high enough concentration of the acid. White table vinegar, on the other hand, doesn't seem to harm a virus' coating any more than it harms your mouth when eating a vinegar-and-oil salad dressing.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, they would not meet the definition of disability.
I'm actually going through a short term disability claim now, for a woman who just gave birth on the 10th.  She was put on bed-rest on the 2nd, though, upon doctor's orders.  So her waiting/elimination period started on the 2nd (when she was unable to go to work, based on Dr's orders).  If a doctor tells you to quarantine at home, how's that different?

I understand that most carriers deem pregnancy to be an "illness" for claim purposes (as opposed to accident), but CV (or the threat of it) would much more fit that definition than a pregnancy would, wouldn't it?

Sorry if I missed this, but are there links to details of this?

Also, I think the key here is "apparently" healthy [young] people.  Very likely, IMHO, that there were undiagnosed pre-existing conditions that likely contributed to this...
Very possibly, but that just emphasizes it’s unwise to not take it seriously even if you believe that you are not in a demographic that is higher risk. 

And agree with the poster before who pointed out that even if the virus doesn’t cause you harm, you still could pass it on to someone that it WILL cause harm to. That’s sorta in line with the idea of herd immunity. The less people that have something means the less chance there is of the virus getting to someone that it will kill.

I believe the issue with vinegar is that the home version is too diluted. Regualr ol' white vinegar is effective against mildew (and other fungi) and bacteria, but it takes longer than a quick swipe to work. You're supposed to wipe a surface nice and wet with liberal use of vinegar, let is set for some time (sometimes see 30 minutes mentioned) and then go back again and wipe all the vinegar off.

Now ... with more concentrates forms of acetic acid, you can disinfect pretty well. Get some 100% pure acetic acid. Pour on hand. Notice that freakish burning and that god-awful blistering on your hand? Well, that happens to viruses, too -- just have to have a high enough concentration of the acid. White table vinegar, on the other hand, doesn't seem to harm a virus' coating any more than it harms your mouth when eating a vinegar-and-oil salad dressing.
I believe the 30 minute wait time has also been recommended for Chlorox and Lysol, right? Seems like that's just how long it takes for any disinfectant to kill all viruses and bacteria. 

Nipsey said:
Feels like we're in about minute 7 of the disaster movie. We've met the main characters, concerning news has come in and now things begin to slowly unfold until all hell breaks loose.
President Leslie Nielsen will save us.

(apologies if this joke has already been made, I'm six or seven pages behind -- doesn't take long)

[Vinegar] hasn't been proven not to be and it's effective against everything else. It's a form of acetic acid which is what some hospitals use to clean so I trust that it's fine. 
I am not an expert on the subject, I was just sharing an article I happened to have read this morning.  I just wanted to put that out there for people to make their own decisions.
Not bad advice IMHO ... not so much to stop coronavirus but to drop the overall pathogen load in your kitchen and bathroom. I mean, keep the other nasties at bay so that's one less co-morbidity to rack up if the worst happens and you do get COVID. If your shower tiles are a little funky, and you're always telling yourself "I'll get to that this weekend" ... what better to time to get some vinegar and knock that job out?

Seems Trump had dinner with Bolsonaro at Mar-a-Lago on Saturday. Bolsonaro is currently under quarantine as possibly infected by COVID-19.
I watched a fake news video showing how at several times he was trying to hold back coughs on national TV.

I'm a big fan of regular psuedo and advil, tbh.  That and a coffee.  You got a recipe for a day right there. 
Bingo. 
All these Mucinex/DayQuil are all overpriced ways to buy really cheap generic drugs. 

Pseudoephedrine (the real stuff)  (antihistamine)
Dextramorphan HBr (Cough suppressant)
Guaifenisin (expectorant)
Ibuprofen (Pain/fever relief)

Boom. Done. 

At Costco now. They have a lot of Kirkland brand TP - there is a steady stream of people making a bee-line from the entrance back to the TP. Kind of funny to just watch...
Pro Tip:

I was joking (Please, no ban) with the cashier when I was checking out - I said I had never been so happy to see toilet paper at Costco.  He laughed, then said, it will all be sold out by 11:00 - and he was serious.

So, if you want to make a TP run - get to your local Costco when it opens....

Pro Tip:

I was joking (Please, no ban) with the cashier when I was checking out - I said I had never been so happy to see toilet paper at Costco.  He laughed, then said, it will all be sold out by 11:00 - and he was serious.

I hope wonder if Costco allows the employees to shop before store opening. That would be quite a nice perk these days.

Pro Tip:

Amazon subscribe and save was the play on TP. 4 month supply of the good stuff in early Feb without ever leaving the house. :lol:  

Maybe this is dumb but I liked it..

There’s an old brain teaser that goes like this: You have a pond of a certain size, and upon that pond, a single lilypad. This particular species of lily pad reproduces once a day, so that on day two, you have two lily pads. On day three, you have four, and so on. Now the teaser. “If it takes the lily pads 48 days to cover the pond completely, how long will it take for the pond to be covered halfway?” The answer is 47 days. Moreover, at day 40, you’ll barely know the lily pads are there.

No clue which mod is posting this - I love FBGs - you tell people they can't make jokes and I'm out.  It's dumb.  And I completely understand people are concerned, I'm concerned but you know what - that's how people deal with life.  You want to stop jokes at peoples expense that fine - if we can't even make light-hearted jokes like I did about hiding toilet paper from my family then what are we even doing here?
100% this. 

With the post that caused that Mod post, I didn't mean harm, was just trying to crack a joke like we have been the whole time, we cleared it up, we are cool.   

I am working from home today. Not due to coronavirus though. My kids teachers are on strike so all school have been closed TUE, WED, THU. And likely tomorrow too.

I fully support their reasoning and their cause - but man, what timing
When does SP have spring break? Are they off all of next week too? I'm kinda worried about our daycare closing only because our kids are too little for me to actually work if I have to stay home with them. 

WFH, and have CNN on (I know, but I'm curious how they are fanning the flames).  In one of the most rediculous examples of irresponsible journalism I've seen lately, they have Charles Barkley on to expound on the risks and what people, players, and fans should do.  Makes sense.
It does actually make sense to have celebrities explain this.  People trust the opinions of like minded people and people they like.  They don't always trust experts.  There's plenty of anecdotes in here of people saying "I didn't believe you're was a big deal until I saw/heard X and then I knew this was serious".  Barkley will be that moment for some people.  
:goodposting:

Flummoxed that people are having a problem with Barkley talking about this. He wasn't heading up a CDC press conference -- he was talking about the intersection of COVID and basketball. Barkley wasn't acting as an authoritative source for what people should do to prepare and protect their families, what to do if you suspect you're a carrier, or anything like that.

Cable news is 90% info-tainment anyway ... 24 hours every day is a lot to fill.

Regarding Sanjay Gupta's expertise: While he is a highly intelligent guy and a good popularizer of medical-science topics, Gupta himself is not a virologist or an epidemiologist -- he is a neurosurgeon. Dr. Oz, to name another popularizer, is a cardio-thoracic surgeon. Their role in disseminating COVID information, then, is not that different from what Barkley was doing -- putting a familiar, trusted, public face on a given commentary.

No clue which mod is posting this - I love FBGs - you tell people they can't make jokes and I'm out.  It's dumb.  And I completely understand people are concerned, I'm concerned but you know what - that's how people deal with life.  You want to stop jokes at peoples expense that fine - if we can't even make light-hearted jokes like I did about hiding toilet paper from my family then what are we even doing here?
Very :goodposting:

When does SP have spring break? Are they off all of next week too? I'm kinda worried about our daycare closing only because our kids are too little for me to actually work if I have to stay home with them. 
Saint Paul doesn't have spring break until the week of the 30th

Adrian Wojnarowski@wojespn

Jazz star Donovan Mitchell has tested positive for the coronavirus, league sources tell ESPN. Jazz players privately say that Rudy Gobert had been careless in the locker room touching other players and their belongings. Now a Jazz teammate has tested positive.

Zero parking at Costco , gridlock and no spaces . This was just a regular trip and to get some cold meds .Glad I listened to @[icon] and prepared. On to BJs
Very happy that I live by a good grocery store that many people consider too ghetto to shop there.  No one there this morning and the only item stocked out was disinfectant wipes.   They did have all sorts of household cleaners, so now good there. 

First, some apparently healthy people are getting very sick and needing ICU attention.   Some of those are dying.  

Second, as this spreads, we will get hospital overrun means that more of those will die because they couldn't get proper treatment.  

Third, if people see now that young people aren't at risk, then they won't take proper precautions, and that's how we get hospital overrun.  

Informing people of cases where healthy young people die can help to save lives.  Minimizing the risk doesn't.  
Yep. Thanks for the perspective. Your second and third points are the community-first thinking I was getting at. I actually was missing something about the point behind posting young/healthy-death stories.

Those with kids whose school are still open, are you allowing your kids to go, or keeping them back?  Mine went today and probably will tomorrow, but might hold them out next week regardless of school decision. 

Just wanted to say I hate all of you.

I go into the grocery store a few minutes ago to buy my daily energy drink, and my kids needed cereal/snacks for the day (home for spring break).  I walk past the toilet paper aisle and there are two 6 pack packages left.  I grab both.  Not because I had toilet paper on my list, but because I am not sure what our toilet paper situation is.

The crazies making me act irrational.

ALSO - the store at this time is usually full of moms, but this morning it is all dudes.  Dudes with carts full of whatever prepper list scared them the most told them to get. You think those chlorox wipes and lysol spray bottles are going to stop you from catching a cold?
Not sure if I've ever heard of the cold killing people. I guess it's possible.

I believe the 30 minute wait time has also been recommended for Chlorox and Lysol, right? Seems like that's just how long it takes for any disinfectant to kill all viruses and bacteria. 
That's basically the "nuke from orbit" approach, but you're correct.

Those with kids whose school are still open, are you allowing your kids to go, or keeping them back?  Mine went today and probably will tomorrow, but might hold them out next week regardless of school decision. 
I am wondering about this too.  My son's spring break is the following week, so that would give 2 weeks.  

Adrian Wojnarowski@wojespn

Jazz star Donovan Mitchell has tested positive for the coronavirus, league sources tell ESPN. Jazz players privately say that Rudy Gobert had been careless in the locker room touching other players and their belongings. Now a Jazz teammate has tested positive.
this, coupled with his press conference bull####, oughtta get him locked the hell up.  

the face of stupidity and hubris!

My kids are on spring break right now. I'd probably send them if it was open today, but will be curious to see what happens over the weekend.  I've seen at least one school close in the area so far.

Users who are viewing this thread