What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (12 Viewers)

So here is what is bothering me this morning, and why I think that despite some of the things we implemented last night we are still sorely lacking top down leadership.  Seems like we are ramping up, and some areas and things I guess are taking it seriously (colleges, sports events, etc.. )  BUT I feel like we are really lacking some sort of guidance and honesty past that.  I feel like we learned zip as other countries went through this over the last month.    

What I mean is stuff like: 

Colleges are closing - is that mostly because of the dorms, the classes, because there are a collection of people who might have travelled around?  What.   If it's the classes, why are we still allowing other schools to continue?  Why are we allowing other collections of people over a couple hundred get together?     If it's just a CYA scenario, then that probably should be told too.  

I guess I am just frustrated that even after all this, I still feel like I have to act like the crazy doomsday guy in the next couple days - my kid is still in school, he still has a big basketball tournament this weekend that I haven't heard a peep about how to address that, I praised our store for starting some disinfecting protocols but we are allowing a big group of 150 into the restaurant today from who knows where.    I guess actors and NBA stars can get tests done but my wife couldn't last week and people's family in here can't seem to.   

Sorry about my sleep deprived ranting...

I was just at walmart in northeast ohio.  Not many people there ( its 6am after all), but could not find one single roll of toilet paper.  Not one.

I bought extra paper towels
It's interesting the things and stores that are being hit.   I just went to Woodman's (bigger  grocery store in case people don't have them) and they still had TP, Paper Towel, Water.  You could definitely tell it was getting gutted and you are going to have trouble finding decent TP and water though.   They did have a sign on the front entryway that they were very low on or out of items like rice, wipes, hand sanitizer.  

So here is what is bothering me this morning, and why I think that despite some of the things we implemented last night we are still sorely lacking top down leadership.  Seems like we are ramping up, and some areas and things I guess are taking it seriously (colleges, sports events, etc.. )  BUT I feel like we are really lacking some sort of guidance and honesty past that.  I feel like we learned zip as other countries went through this over the last month.    

What I mean is stuff like: 

Colleges are closing - is that mostly because of the dorms, the classes, because there are a collection of people who might have travelled around?  What.   If it's the classes, why are we still allowing other schools to continue?  Why are we allowing other collections of people over a couple hundred get together?     If it's just a CYA scenario, then that probably should be told too.  

I guess I am just frustrated that even after all this, I still feel like I have to act like the crazy doomsday guy in the next couple days - my kid is still in school, he still has a big basketball tournament this weekend that I haven't heard a peep about how to address that, I praised our store for starting some disinfecting protocols but we are allowing a big group of 150 into the restaurant today from who knows where.    I guess actors and NBA stars can get tests done but my wife couldn't last week and people's family in here can't seem to.   

Sorry about my sleep deprived ranting...
All good points and I agree, it appears top down leadership is being tentative about making the hard call. Travel with Europe is BANNED...but travel with the UK is not. It is going to be reliant on 50 different interpretations of what is necessary at the state level and it needs to happen at almost a lightening quick speed.

Great example is the NBA game that cleared out last night, great call by all involved to end it as quickly as possible. That is the level & quickness of decision making that will need to take place in the coming weeks for the US to have a shot at getting ahead of this. The Fed’s can’t act that quickly because there are 100 people in the room #####ing about how it affects their constituencies. It’s going to come down to states, governors, mayors making the tough calls (see NY) throughout, there will be that uncomfortable minority that will push back the entire way making it that much more difficult. We have to emulate China, that ain’t gonna fly well here in ‘Murcia.

Did that a few days ago.  Ibuprofen, tylenol, mucinex, and some other cold/flu med.

Need to keep yourself alive when there are no hospitals taking patients 

That is not a joke
Gatorade/pedialyte, pepto, and Ive thrown in a half case of canned 02 for very low level temporary respiratory / 02 sats support. We get them for snowboarding trips, just stocked up a bit. Absolutely overkill, but was restocking anyway soooo.... 

Last edited by a moderator:
I know there is not a big fan base on this forum ( @Eephus ), but:

McLaren@McLarenF1

McLaren Racing withdraws from the 2020 Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix.

McClaren had at least 1 crew member who tested positive.  The race was this weekend, and had been set to go forward.  With McLaren withdrawing - I can't imagine the race will go forward now.

2nd race was set for Vietnam, but with no fans.  That is probably in jeopardy now as well.  3rd race was China, already cancelled.

Also, did you check the restrooms?  Start swiping it from there... 
Wtf? Are you in riot mode already? Stealing public TP is not it, man. I know it's gonna happen and nothing I say matters, people are gonna prioritiz their families over the public. But making it harder for people to be sanitary in public is not gonna help a pandemic situation. 

This is the thing I’m not understanding about this - how long will they keep things closed.  I’m guessing the school system is guessing at this point and you guys will be closed longer than that.  Won’t they have to keep things closed until it’s seems like it’s slowed way down and not ramping up? 
Yeah... they don't want to say the school year is cancelled.  They especially don't want to be the first to say it.  But it likely is.

I live in WV and found out yesterday why a small state so close to major metro areas has no cases. As of yesterday afternoon, there were no test kits available at the major hospitals. WV is a state where most people in border counties commute for work to DC, NoVa, MD, PA, OH.

Awesome.

For the literal plane loads of people that have been arriving from Italy the last 2 weeks it has been. The testing method of choice has been “do you feel ill? No? Ok, enjoy America  :thumbup:
The reporter who spent weeks in Milan covering the outbreak and then walked through customs without anyone even talking to her was a tell on where this is headed for me.  If we weren't even screening, let alone testing, people from hot zones two months into the pandemic there was no way it was going to do anything other than explode.

I feel people are overreacting to be perfectly honest..

I'm not here to argue just stating how I feel. so you can save the arguments with all the numbers and all that I've already read all that stuff

ETA:  The news horrible reporting the virus is now "airborne" based on that one controlled study - doesnt help matters

I don't forsee a situation where that changes outside some occasional short term runs, but that's part of why we have supplies....That and avoiding crowds 
Yeah I get that intellectually now.  I guess I freaked out a bit when I woke up :lmao:

Walking  around grocery with coffee and yes they did have toilet paper 

Daily metro north update: its just me and the conductor. 

Jk. But I’m going to say we are running at 20% of norm. As the train rolled up the one other dude waiting at my door looked at me and said “what the hell are we doing?”

San Antonio pressing on with the Tejano Music Festival this weekend. Organizer's logic is "Well, we haven't had any public cases yet in SA!" So we're going to bring 100,000 people together and make sure we remedy that. This is how it begins in bigger cities. Stupidity is allowed to run amok. I'll miss you guys (ok, not really).

ConnSKINS26 said:
Wtf? Are you in riot mode already? Stealing public TP is not it, man. I know it's gonna happen and nothing I say matters, people are gonna prioritiz their families over the public. But making it harder for people to be sanitary in public is not gonna help a pandemic situation. 
I. Was. Joking. 

belljr said:

I'm not here to argue just stating how I feel. so you can save the arguments with all the numbers and all that I've already read all that stuff

ETA:  The news horrible reporting the virus is now "airborne" based on that one controlled study - doesnt help matters
I definitely think there's overreaction. I came to work today, my wife went to work, my son went to school. 

That being said, I have come around on it being a good idea to close large gatherings and sporting events for a few weeks to contain this thing now before it's too late. 

I'll run to the store to pick up a few things and definitely ibuprofen (good idea!) Later but for now not changing my routines. 

moleculo said:
I fear i don't have enough prepped.  My wife went out today in search of more TP and hand sanitizer, couldn't find any.  I don't know if we need it, or its nervous hoarding.

I do know i don't have nearly enough booze.  I have plenty of beer but i feel bourbon coming on over the next couple of weeks.
Not getting the TP run. Coronavirus doesn't give you diarrhea 

belljr said:

I mean, how did they phrase it, or did they define that a little more? 

Isnt that the main way they think this is passed? Otherwise why are we talking about large groups and social distancing.  

Dinsy Ejotuz said:
Yeah... they don't want to say the school year is cancelled.  They especially don't want to be the first to say it.  But it likely is.
For most it won't even matter. They don't learn anything and get passed along. Those that are there to learn, will be fine.

The media fuels this #### when they post stories about the one young, healthy person who happens to get very ill from this. That doesn't help. 

The media fuels this #### when they post stories about the one young, healthy person who happens to get very ill from this. That doesn't help. 
There’s some truth in that. But it would be reckless and dangerous to not report there are exceptions to who we expect to be the high risk demo.

Going for a run & some serious stretches / planking. Stay safe everyone.

shuke said:
I can confirm.  My son has had a cough since Monday.  Wife took him to the doctor yesterday, primarily because he has a history of illness-induced asthma.  Was told it was a cold.  Cough got way worse overnight so wife called the doctor back today.  They put in an order at children's hospital for a chest x-ray and a whooping cough swab.  But no covid-19 test.  

I thought about demanding one but I'm leaving that decision to the experts.  
My 11 year old daughter has the same thing. Makes this scarier than it normally would be. 

The media fuels everything, I'm sure they are doing a poor job.  I haven't watched a single minute of CNN/Fox or any TV media regarding this virus and I feel as informed as is possible for an IT engineer.  The TV media is an unnecessary part of modern life and in a struggle to remain relevant they have become more sensational.

Doug B said:
New Orleans has done a 180 regarding public events if the stuff I’m hearing/reading secondhand is true. All St Patrick’s events now cancelled. University of New Orleans and Loyola University going online only. Have to see about Tulane.

A little birdie told me that the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival (Jazz Fest) is going to announce cancellation tomorrow. That’s six weeks out.
Pittsburgh has cancelled their St. Patrick's Day parade as well.  So far the Penguins are saying they will play in front of fans on Sunday but I have a feeling that will change.  Tonight they play the Columbus Blue Jackets in an empty arena.    Personally I think it is only a matter of days before the NHL suspends their season like the NBA.  

I definitely think there's overreaction. I came to work today, my wife went to work, my son went to school. 

That being said, I have come around on it being a good idea to close large gatherings and sporting events for a few weeks to contain this thing now before it's too late. 

I'll run to the store to pick up a few things and definitely ibuprofen (good idea!) Later but for now not changing my routines. 
This I think is a very good take. There will be overreactions from this point, but there will also be underreactions.

I would promote personal responsibility and decision-making, and will try to respect a person's rationale for anything they do. I would ask they respect the wishes of their local authorities.

Sorry - Im not opposed to canceling the large gatherings and such - NBA felt "knee jerk"....

I'm mean "people in general" ....

That being said we have an impromptu meeting at 8:30 (im sure to give some guidance) - the current joke is can we dial in ;)

Sorry - Im not opposed to canceling the large gatherings and such - NBA felt "knee jerk"....

I'm mean "people in general" ....

That being said we have an impromptu meeting at 8:30 (im sure to give some guidance) - the current joke is can we dial in ;)
The NBA suspended every game because the Utah Jazz can be linked to every team in just the past few days of action. They need to test their players.

still on the board:

• Idaho
  • Alabama
  • West Virginia
  • Maine
  • Alaska
My money is on Maine being the last to fall.
We're hoping to make our flight next week to our condo in Boise and are considering not coming back to NYC until this settles down.

Cold Dead Hands said:
I live in WV and found out yesterday why a small state so close to major metro areas has no cases. As of yesterday afternoon, there were no test kits available at the major hospitals. WV is a state where most people in border counties commute for work to DC, NoVa, MD, PA, OH.

Awesome.
Pittsburgh metro area still has no reported cases.  One of the local TV stations reported roughly 90 of 150 tests in the area came back negative and the remaining 60 are waiting for results.  If these numbers are to believed it seems like a pretty insignificant number of tests for a population of 2.36 million people.

ghostguy123 said:
I was just at walmart in northeast ohio.  Not many people there ( its 6am after all), but could not find one single roll of toilet paper.  Not one.

I bought extra paper towels
FYI, Giant Eagle in Sheffield was limiting TP to 3 packages per customer. They still had stock. Probably what walmart and Sams should do. Both Sams and Walmart in the area are completely out of TP. Sams in Brooklyn also was completely out.

Users who are viewing this thread