What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest “New Wave” songs 1. Everybody Wants to Rule the World-Tears for Fears (1 Viewer)

For all you Crenshaw fans, he's been spending time the last couple of years touring as the front man for the Smithereens, alternating with Robin Wilson of the Gin Blossoms.

Ah, OK. Never caught "Wham Rap!", but that would be from before Make it Big!, anyway. I had wondered whether Wham! was at least "born" in new wave, so to speak ... and it sounds like they were.
Time is only one variable for consideration  imo, but it’s not my list.

Other bands I didn’t include: The Clash, X. 

REALLY struggled with these. Both bands have numerous songs that fit right in with any New Wave playlist. Yet...somehow they weren’t. I can’t really explain. 
I know you're an X fan...or I think you are. Was wondering if they'd be here. Not new wave imo, but certainly 80s alt. I think the case could be made more for the clash, especially some tunes off of combat rock, even though they're not new wave either.

sweet jeeeebus, man ... if yer gonna open the tent for WHAM!, then, by all means, go Stray Cats as well. 

like i said, if you cast as wide a net as was allowed, hard to leave them off. 

Other bands I didn’t include: The Clash, X. 

REALLY struggled with these. Both bands have numerous songs that fit right in with any New Wave playlist. Yet...somehow they weren’t. I can’t really explain. 
thank you for omitting X

the Clash weren't punk after their eponymous debut ... "Rock the Casbah" would've sufficed up in here, given your (what i perceived) parameters. 

I know you're an X fan...or I think you are. Was wondering if they'd be here. Not new wave imo, but certainly 80s alt. I think the case could be made more for the clash, especially some tunes off of combat rock, even though they're not new wave either.
Without spotlighting, I also had to make room for bands that were as much classic rock as they were New Wave. Two in particular which we will get to. 

No. In for sure. But I’m not impressed by a lot of it so my rankings may not exactly please a ska fan. But we’ll see. 
More lines drawn. Lines crossed. Wiggly lines. Lines!

There are a couple ska bands I could see here. One felt like more of a crossover into new wave, the others more squarely in the ska genre, but with 80s era defining songs.

Now this thread has me thinking about The Jam/Style Council and which one would fit if either of them at all. Hmm..

Time is only one variable for consideration  imo, but it’s not my list.
I follow you. I think Wham! (well, George Michael) purposefully left new wave behind about the time they broke internationally.

Looking at Tim's list so far ... it looks like he's regarding "new wave" as much of a "time and place" as it is a musical style. He's not alone in doing so. Grunge gets similar treatment for similar reasons.

Now this thread has me thinking about The Jam/Style Council and which one would fit if either of them at all. Hmm..
HELL NO. 

the Modfather shall not be included ... holy ####, no. 

(oh, and that's directed at the posit ... not you)  

btw, if you were making the list ... would they?

HELL NO. 

the Modfather shall not be included ... holy ####, no. 

(oh, and that's directed at the posit ... not you)  

btw, if you were making the list ... would they?
I’d prolly give the nod to Style Council although The Jam’s later stuff was getting there imo.

92. “I Ran”- A Flock of Seagulls (1982, from A Flock of Seagulls

https://youtu.be/iIpfWORQWhU

For several months after this song came out I thought it was about the country, Iran, and how far away it was. I even argued it with my best friend at the time. Oh well. 

Try arguing this one isn’t New Wave, mother####ers. Go ahead and try. 
I now always associate this song with Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

In honor of this thread, I listened to First Wave on the drive to work today

Not exactly what I expected. What exactly does First Wave promote themselves as? Like Lithium is 90s Grunge and alternative (although they play Beastie Boys songs from the 80s but that is another discussion)
First Wave is basically Los Angeles's KROQ playlist from the late 70's to the mid 80's. It went beyond nominal New Wave to punk, post punk, mod, ska, and even some pop and some other stuff. Three of the D.J.s on First Wave are ex KROQ jocks. I don't know if he's still alive, but if he is I wish they'd bring Freddy Snakeskin back. Loved that guy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread