What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DNC - where do you go from here? (1 Viewer)

If you guys don't think the Democratic Party is corrupt along with incompetent, then nothing is going to change.  They are rotten to the core and the handling of the last election is the proof in the pudding.  You need to have a come to Jesus moment realizing all of the problems that plague the Party, not just selective ones that you can mentally tolerate.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you guys don't think the Democratic Party is corrupt along with incompetent, then nothing is going to change.  They are rotten to the core and the handling of the last election is the proof in the pudding.  You need to have a come to Jesus moment realizing all of the problems that plague the Party, not just selective ones that you can tolerate.
Even if your nonsensical take were accurate, the incompetence would far outweigh the corruption in terms of results. So that's where we should focus first. Thanks for the drop in, enjoy revelling in the non-corrupt tax plan your team just passed.

In fairness, I'm a junkie so I bring a lot of bias to these discussions, and my dislike of Nomi and the simplistic "CORRUPTION!" narrative the Young Turks continue to perpetrate is admittedly a personal issue.

Apologies to @Henry Ford and others if I've come off condescending or assholish.  I'm in favor of DNC reforms.  Let's do it rationally and responsiblity, and not with machetes and napalm.  
So what reforms would you like to see?

Also, I'm assuming that you fully dismiss Donna Brazile's statements about what had been going on in the party during the DWS years, so there's not much point in discussing them.

Even if your nonsensical take were accurate, the incompetence would far outweigh the corruption in terms of results. So that's where we should focus first. Thanks for the drop in, enjoy revelling in the non-corrupt tax plan your team just passed.
Your post drives my point even further - you can continue to revel in your ignorance and/or obliviousness I guess.  Let's not look inward for the corruption - it obviously has to be somebody else.  It could never be my team!

And if you consider giving money back to the people that earn it as "corrupt", then I guess you're even more blinded by your dogma than I first realized.  Good luck trying to fix your party by ignoring the obvious.

Your post drives my point even further - you can continue to revel in your ignorance and/or obliviousness I guess.  Let's not look inward for the corruption - it obviously has to be somebody else.  It could never be my team!

And if you consider giving money back to the people that earn it as "corrupt", then I guess you're even more blinded by your dogma than I first realized.  Good luck trying to fix your party by ignoring the obvious.
You have no point, just inane chatter fed to you by corrupt politicians and media outlets that you mindlessly regurgitate. Voting yourself money on the backs of those who can least afford it is about as corrupt as it gets. Choosing one of the most corrupt people in modern public life to be the face and champion of your party is about as corrupt as it gets. You admit that and then we can talk about other peoples' ignorance and obliviousness - and how corrupt the party who opposed such things is. Until then, well, good luck trying to fix your party by ignoring the obvious.

You think the tax bill is only about giving back to people who earned it?

Thats the first issue.  Also I’m guessing any number of people discussing this in here have quite a bit of knowledge and understanding...so I’d hesitate trying to call them ignorant.

Did you even watch the video linked?  Between this comment and the one interpreting things at the 1:35 mark, I am having serious doubts.  Instead of throwing yourself into attack the messenger mode, maybe you should think about listening to the actual words coming out of her mouth.

The message I hear from HF's clip is much closer to  "DNC needs to get their #### together, get the budget under control and have stronger oversight of the money because they way it's been done in recent years hasn't worked and has lead us to Trump".  But I don't have a "this is the way it's always been" narrative to defend either, so that might be part of it :shrug:  
The DNC is a convienant scapegoat. I blame people who voted for Trump for Trump's election first and foremost, not those of us who have been railing against Republicans for decades.
You can play the blame game if you want.  I don't get much out of it and only dabble in the topic when shade is thrown at those of us way down the list in lieu of doing self reflection further up the list.  That video is the exact sort of self reflection I think is necessary.  She used "we" and "us" through most of her comments.  She wasn't attempting to distance herself from the party in an effort to "scapegoat".  She was bringing up what she saw as issues and instead of choosing to listen to her and do some genuine analysis of her words, you chose to attack the messenger and dismiss her outright.  There were MONUMENTAL red flags that were ignored during the last election.  I don't know if that was the DNC or Hillary herself, but it was sheer incompetence IMO.  Is the party corrupt?  Na....it's incredibly dysfunctional and incompetent for many reasons, some of which she points to in that video.

So we have two choices.  We can either reflect on what she says and determine validity or we can attack her because she's saying things we might not like to hear.

An illustration of correctly allocated funds is shown in the reality that Texas is going to have a dozen or so seats up for grabs at various levels of government in the next election.  NONE of them have had a democrat option in years.  This time around they will and it's because the money is going out to help them.  They may not win, but there's NO WAY to win if you don't even have an option on the ballot.  Scenarios like this are what send the message that Dems don't care about certain segments of the population.  If I put myself in the position of an everyday voter listening to the Democratic party say they are the party of the people and then go to vote and see no democrat on the ballot to vote for, what am I suppose to think exactly?

To say that the democratic party is not corrupt is to fail to understand that the system is corrupt.

The DNC are, generally speaking, no more nor no less corrupt than the Republican party.  They answer to different masters, but Special Interests, and the money that flows from them, have corrupted those in power.  The basic game is rigged for those in power to stay in power - and the easiest way to do that is to focus on the hand that feeds you - lest it feed someone else.  

So what reforms would you like to see?

Also, I'm assuming that you fully dismiss Donna Brazile's statements about what had been going on in the party during the DWS years, so there's not much point in discussing them.
At this point I'm in favor of getting rid of superdelegates and caucuses.  

W/re to Donna Brazile, not sure which comments you're talking about. One day she suggests massive corruption, the next she says there was no such thing. :shrug:   

At this point I'm in favor of getting rid of superdelegates and caucuses.  

W/re to Donna Brazile, not sure which comments you're talking about. One day she suggests massive corruption, the next she says there was no such thing. :shrug:   
Superdelegates and caucuses? Those are the reforms that would help downticket races?

To say that the democratic party is not corrupt is to fail to understand that the system is corrupt.

The DNC are, generally speaking, no more nor no less corrupt than the Republican party.  They answer to different masters, but Special Interests, and the money that flows from them, have corrupted those in power.  The basic game is rigged for those in power to stay in power - and the easiest way to do that is to focus on the hand that feeds you - lest it feed someone else.  
The DNC emails being hacked and made public are at odds with this "everyone is absolutely corrupt" theory.  

If corruption was as rampent and absolute as you suggest, we would expect to see mountains of emails containing quid pro quos.  

Instead, we got nothing, other than proof that people working in politics have political opinions, apparently surprising to some.

If corruption was as rampent and absolute as you suggest, we would expect to see mountains of emails containing quid pro quos.  

Instead, we got nothing, other than proof that people working in politics have political opinions, apparently surprising to some.
ok. 

Wait.  You think high level corruption is conducted over a set of emails?  This current Presidency and administration aside, the pros actually know how this is done.

To a large degree it's a perfect crowdsourced network with no common infrastructure to attack. There usually ARE no direct quid pro quo.  Just a cycle and series of repeated behaviors that end up funnelling money to certain groups of electeds wherein there's internal and external pressure for each to scratch the back that scratched theirs. 

Even non related issues often become inter-related as blocks of interests and even lobby groups/ companies campaign for multiple issues and their recopeinets of donations have a block of legislation that would be very much in their interest to support

Wait.  You think high level corruption is conducted over a set of emails?  This current Presidency and administration aside, the pros actually know how this is done.

To a large degree it's a perfect crowdsourced network with no common infrastructure to attack. There usually ARE no direct quid pro quo.  Just a cycle and series of repeated behaviors that end up funnelling money to certain groups of electeds wherein there's internal and external pressure for each to scratch the back that scratched theirs. 

Even non related issues often become inter-related as blocks of interests and even lobby groups/ companies campaign for multiple issues and their recopeinets of donations have a block of legislation that would be very much in their interest to support
There are hundreds of people working for the DNC at any particular time.  Not all of them are the 8 dimensional corruption experts that you're suggesting.  If there were all of these supposed quid pro quo's happening, the DNC emails being hacked should have been a gold mine of evidence.  

How do you believe that would work?
It’s my understanding that significant numbers of liberal voters are under the impression that superdelegates are part of a rigged process.  While I disagree, if that perception keeps liberals from participating that’s a problem and hurts us at the ballot box.

It’s my understanding that significant numbers of liberal voters are under the impression that superdelegates are part of a rigged process.  While I disagree, if that perception keeps liberals from participating that’s a problem and hurts us at the ballot box.
So nothing about actually improving the candidates or exposure for downballot candidates or especially off year candidates, where Democrats get shellacked. Your big culprits are Presidential caucuses and superdelegates.  

If you think those are the problem with local democrats in local races, you’re out of your mind. 

So nothing about actually improving the candidates or exposure for downballot candidates or especially off year candidates, where Democrats get shellacked. Your big culprits are Presidential caucuses and superdelegates.  

If you think those are the problem with local democrats in local races, you’re out of your mind. 
It is on triode local races that The Democratic Party may have, quite literally, lost control of this country's future.

But no, not at all incompetent. You'd almost HOPE they'd be corrupt as some viable explanation. 

Henry Ford said:

Why can't it be both? We should be focusing more attention on local races and getting rid of super delegates - there's plenty of incompetence and suboptimal status quo to address at all levels.

Sinn Fein said:

This is a different focus than the "Democratic party is uniquely unbelievably corrupt" notion that was initially forwarded. I agree with you here - money in politics is one of the top 5 problems facing the U.S. From it stem so many other issues. If this is what @tosberg34 was getting at, I apologize for misunderstanding - I'm with you here.

But - what is a political party to do in light of this situation? Unilaterally play nice nice? The Democrats have been doing that to some extent for a while now in different ways, and the Republicans who are ready and willing to play dirty pool to get their agenda through are kicking Democrat ### up and down the board. Do we sit by and let that happen, or do we need to do a little evil to do greater good? I don't know the answer to those questions. Right now I'm leaning toward the latter though - I'm tired of sitting by and watching the Republicans get their ####ty agenda shoved down the countries throat. Let's do some fighting back here.

Why can't it be both? We should be focusing more attention on local races and getting rid of super delegates - there's plenty of incompetence and suboptimal status quo to address at all levels.
Okay.  What’s the plan to help down ballot races, as we’ve been discussing for two days?

But - what is a political party to do in light of this situation? Unilaterally play nice nice? The Democrats have been doing that to some extent for a while now in different ways, and the Republicans who are ready and willing to play dirty pool to get their agenda through are kicking Democrat ### up and down the board. Do we sit by and let that happen, or do we need to do a little evil to do greater good? I don't know the answer to those questions. Right now I'm leaning toward the latter though - I'm tired of sitting by and watching the Republicans get their ####ty agenda shoved down the countries throat. Let's do some fighting back here.
I am torn here.

A part of me would like to see the Dems gain control of the Senate, and restore all of the former safeguards for the minority party.  Re-capture the past glory of being the house of true statesmen/women who work together to solve problems.  I hate that the Senate has become as partisan as the House.  I don't think either party should ram through their agenda - there should be serious debate, not constrained by party whips and leaders.  Someone needs to stand for Americans - not just the special interest groups.

But, a part of me recognizes that the GOP played dirty, and, in theory, won.  And that creates a "whats good for the goose is good for the gander" mentality.

Ultimately this attitude may well hasten the undoing of democracy as a viable form of government - true democracy really does not work, when you rely on a largely uninformed electorate to make choices.  When the government fails to act in the interests of the citizens, then it stops to be a useful tool for society.  Might as well just accept defeat and move towards an autocracy.

Henry Ford said:

I didn't say anything about "big culprits", but anyway.

Sign me up for your "get better candidates and get them more resources" plan. I don't know how that differs from previous plans but apparently you have it all figured out. 

Okay.  What’s the plan to help down ballot races, as we’ve been discussing for two days?
We need to figure out how to apply the outreach/fund raising techniques the Obama and Sanders campaigns employed to the down ticket contests/candidates - without it becoming a nuisance to the constituents.

We need to unleash a horde of truth bots to counter the Republican/Russian propaganda bots - which means investing in the technology to support such an endeavor.

We need to clarify and promote a Democratic platform that works at all levels.

We need less corporate/celebrity fundraisers and more grass roots engagement.

I am torn here.

A part of me would like to see the Dems gain control of the Senate, and restore all of the former safeguards for the minority party.  Re-capture the past glory of being the house of true statesmen/women who work together to solve problems.  I hate that the Senate has become as partisan as the House.  I don't think either party should ram through their agenda - there should be serious debate, not constrained by party whips and leaders.  Someone needs to stand for Americans - not just the special interest groups.

But, a part of me recognizes that the GOP played dirty, and, in theory, won.  And that creates a "whats good for the goose is good for the gander" mentality.

Ultimately this attitude may well hasten the undoing of democracy as a viable form of government - true democracy really does not work, when you rely on a largely uninformed electorate to make choices.  When the government fails to act in the interests of the citizens, then it stops to be a useful tool for society.  Might as well just accept defeat and move towards an autocracy.
That's one way. As long as we're talking somewhat crazy, another way might be to eliminate the middle men. We have the technology (assuming we can solve the security/nonrepudiation issues, which I think can be done) to have direct democracy now. I think it might be time to try it. We're already suffering the bad effects of populism combined with the worst effects of kleptocracy via "representation". The main questions would be, do we still retain an executive, and if so, what's the check/balance on it if we eliminate the other federal level representatives?

That's one way. As long as we're talking somewhat crazy, another way might be to eliminate the middle men. We have the technology (assuming we can solve the security/nonrepudiation issues, which I think can be done) to have direct democracy now. I think it might be time to try it. We're already suffering the bad effects of populism combined with the worst effects of kleptocracy via "representation". The main questions would be, do we still retain an executive, and if so, what's the check/balance on it if we eliminate the other federal level representatives?
Along these lines. You don't need consultants to manipulate social media. Those channels give you all the info on how their sites work. 

I didn't know where else to put this interesting Atlantic piece about an organization dedicated to fundraising for more military veterans to run for public office. The idea is to back new candidates who have a natural penchant for serving the country and working across the aisle to regain the momentum that has been lost to partisanship.

There are attractive qualities to this idea; military personnel are accustomed to service as an ends unto itself and the military's mission makes it inherently pragmatic and forward thinking (at least in some areas, like the use of new technology). Our military also seems to be one of the better functioning arenas of diversity. Hopefully, new candidates would reflect these qualities. 

But I would also have some concerns about this as well. It is understandable that most veterans would think that a(n overly large military) is the nation's first necessity and would hardly be motivated to ever challenge that concept, which appears to be unique to the U.S. Mostly, I don't know how this ties into the absurd influence of money in our national politics, either for good or bad. 

I didn't know where else to put this interesting Atlantic piece about an organization dedicated to fundraising for more military veterans to run for public office. The idea is to back new candidates who have a natural penchant for serving the country and working across the aisle to regain the momentum that has been lost to partisanship.

There are attractive qualities to this idea; military personnel are accustomed to service as an ends unto itself and the military's mission makes it inherently pragmatic and forward thinking (at least in some areas, like the use of new technology). Our military also seems to be one of the better functioning arenas of diversity. Hopefully, new candidates would reflect these qualities. 

But I would also have some concerns about this as well. It is understandable that most veterans would think that a(n overly large military) is the nation's first necessity and would hardly be motivated to ever challenge that concept, which appears to be unique to the U.S. Mostly, I don't know how this ties into the absurd influence of money in our national politics, either for good or bad. 
We need less military in government. A lot less.

Look, one of the things the Republicans, or at least Trump, do way better than Dems is get a simple idea, no matter how lamebrained, across to their monosyllabic voters. "Kill Obamacare," "Build the Wall," ""let's win back our freedom to say 'Merry Christmas' again," "the Demoncrats are baby murderers," -- they pound home simple themes that red, white and blue high school graduates can understand.

The lefties as a group are pretty disjointed in their political and social beliefs but I still believe that they can be motivated by a few simple, clearly stated goals. Maybe it's lower the age of Medicare as a first step towards health care nationalization, maybe it's college debt relief, maybe it's something even as simple as legalizing weed. But fer chissakes, have a goal that people can get behind. At least they'll know that you (the Dems) actually want to accomplish something.

Look, one of the things the Republicans, or at least Trump, do way better than Dems is get a simple idea, no matter how lamebrained, across to their monosyllabic voters. "Kill Obamacare," "Build the Wall," ""let's win back our freedom to say 'Merry Christmas' again," "the Demoncrats are baby murderers," -- they pound home simple themes that red, white and blue high school graduates can understand.

The lefties as a group are pretty disjointed in their political and social beliefs but I still believe that they can be motivated by a few simple, clearly stated goals. Maybe it's lower the age of Medicare as a first step towards health care nationalization, maybe it's college debt relief, maybe it's something even as simple as legalizing weed. But fer chissakes, have a goal that people can get behind. At least they'll know that you (the Dems) actually want to accomplish something.
Sure seems like the religious could rally behind “heal the sick”, “feed the hungry”, “clothe the naked”, and “shelter the homeless.”

Users who are viewing this thread