What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

No Mike Gillislee thread? Mike Gilleslee thread (1 Viewer)

So....I'm confused.  

I keep seeing statements like this.

Google tells me Rex Burkhead is 5'10" 215 lbs and Gillislee is 5'11" 218 lbs.

But its not just the numbers.

Consider these two glamour shots and tell me which looks more the part of a between the tackles runner:

burkhead

gillislee

Not convinced?  Watch the respective youtube highlights.  For Gillislee, concentrate on the goalline situation against the Patriots (that's relevant and goes to BB's perspective) at 2:42.  For Burkhead consider the limited between the tackles plays against Houston and Pittsburg near the end of the highlights at 2:44.  See how Gillislee bowls over people?  See how Burkhead lopes when he runs with the ball?  Isn't it clear to you when you watch the respective highlights that Gillislee is the more imposing runner? 

gillislee

burkhead

My thesis is this: Gillislee is the more imposing between the tackles runner and that is blatantly clear.  Burkhead has demonstrated receiving capability far greater than what Gillislee has put on tape.  Both are better options for NE because both can do both very well (versus the "telegraphing" with Blount versus White/Lewis last year).  BUT SOMEHOW, the concensus in the fantasy community has invented the FICTION that Burkhead is the bigger and more likely choice for lead back because Gillislee missed time this pre-season with hamestring issues.  The tape demonstrates this fiction.  If Gillislee can demonstrate a satisfactory ability to catch the ball there is no reason to take him off the field other than to spell him.  He's that much better between the tackles than Burkhead, White and Lewis.

That's what my eyes are telling me anyway.

I'm not finding that to be the consensus at all. What I'm finding is that the fantasy community likes Burkhead better at this ADP.

I'm not finding that to be the consensus at all. What I'm finding is that the fantasy community likes Burkhead better at this ADP.
Ok...yes...I tend to get caught up in my own rhetoric sometimes...would have been better to say a surprising number of posts playing up the notion that Burkhead is the bigger better between the tackles back.

Agreed. In my draft yesterday (12 team Super-flex, PPR) Gillislee went at 7.6 as the #28 RB off the board. The only RB I would have taken ahead of him at that point was Doug Martin who came off the board at 7.10 as RB#30 (someone took Adrian Peterson @ 7.9 as RB#29).  This owner who took Gillislee needed a RB at that spot (he only had Crowell) and did not need another WR but Diggs & Crabtree were on the board and I much prefer either over Gillislee.

Burkhead came off the board at 15.3 as the #56 RB off the board.

The guy who took Gillislee absolutely needs him to perform as we all think he could in NE. It is easily his most critical draft pick (J.Stewart & M.Breida are his other RBs).  But the guy who took Burkhead as his #6 RB has a churnable, lottery ticket.

I think, at least until the games turn real, the Burkhead owner came out ahead.

Ok...yes...I tend to get caught up in my own rhetoric sometimes...would have been better to say a surprising number of posts playing up the notion that Burkhead is the bigger better between the tackles back.
I don't know about better, but he has created enough doubt this preseason to make Gillislee too expensive for my blood.

I definitely agree with the notion that Gillislee at his prevailing ADP is a very risky pick.  

But I also think there is a legit chance for a "Blount light plus involvement in the passing game" scenario in his ceiling.

i'm getting nervous starting him tonight.  anyone want to try to persuade me one way or the other?

Nice to get a TD from the start. I suspect he will get the bulk of carries late in games they are winning, but touches early in games might be hard to come by. 

This is clearly someone who hasn't seen Gillislee play. I agree he'll be in a RBBC, but there is an outside shot he takes over that job and becomes a 15+ carry guy in NE. He's that talented. Super fast, great burst, and good vision. NE's line is good enough to open holes and that's all he needs to burn for 5+ yards. He did it with little thread of a passing game in Buffalo. In NE?
Hiya, gorgeous.

As an aside I made A conscious decision no to listen to much to the "experts" this year-esp.matthew berry.already

paying off

As an aside I made A conscious decision no to listen to much to the "experts" this year-esp.matthew berry.already

paying off
You are missing the fun of skipping the first half of each of his articles.  You know, where he goes on and on about his "fantasy" life.

This is clearly someone who hasn't seen Gillislee play. I agree he'll be in a RBBC, but there is an outside shot he takes over that job and becomes a 15+ carry guy in NE. He's that talented. Super fast, great burst, and good vision. NE's line is good enough to open holes and that's all he needs to burn for 5+ yards. He did it with little thread of a passing game in Buffalo. In NE?
Hate to bump this again, but Gillisee had 15 carries last night. While he only totaled 45 yards, much of his work was on short yardage situations and he scored 3 TDs. 

White looked good as well. 

Most encouraging: Gillisee is clearly BB's goalline back, which means he's due for Blount levels of TDs. And he's way way way faster than Blount. 

I think Gilly looked great. He is quick to recognize the opening, and quick to hit it. A massive upgrade from LeGarette Blount

So what are folks getting for him then? He does not seem to have any value in mine.
Depends on league size, number of RBs in starting line-up and scoring system.  In a PPR 12-team league he is an RB2.  Probably could get a low-end TE1 or a good WR2 or a mid-tier QB for him.  You just need to find the team which is weak at RB and make an offer.  

In a TD league the guy is gold. 

Boom/bust RB2/flex in standard leagues. Definitely droppable in PPR leagues. I wonder how Burkhead impacts MG now that he is back from injury. 

One more week... Sitting in the FLEX position. I do like the match up against the JETS for TD Gilly, who is TD dependent to be a worthy play. Just doesn't seem to have the punch in, smell the end zone, score like Blount had. I'll give him another week, but not going to let the ship go down with 15 carries and 50 yards with 0-1 receptions. 

People still think he's better than Blount
Even I could I run through that hole. No one touched him for 20 yards. Not exactly a fair comparison, as there have been very few holes to run through for any of the NE backs, and many times they are getting hit in the backfield. The Pats also haven't been facing their usual game script that worked so well for Blount last year (get way ahead early, run clock, and pound Blount late in the fourth to salt away the game.) The Pats have been in dog fights pretty much every game, and the defense has not been anywhere near what it was last year.

Users who are viewing this thread