What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Joseph Randle cut and suspended for four games (1 Viewer)

I don't think Randle is great and he lost me my game by not playing at all the last quarter and a half, but the OL has been getting beaten a ton. Even McFadden had a couple good runs where the blocking was decent and others where the OL got blasted. It seems more often than not that they are getting pushed around. Maybe it is Weeden and no Dez, but the run blocking is getting killed on 90% of the runs.
It's nearly impossible to be dominant when you are completely one dimensional where you're playing a journeyman QB who doesn't stretch the field, your best receiving threat is a 43 year old TE that runs a 6.5 40 and their RBs consist of Randle who's never proven anything and an oft injured/declining McFadden. They just don't scare anyone or have anything close to a difference maker.
Agreed. They can get 1 out of 5 to 10 runs to work out, but the rest get bottled up. There are still folks in this and the Michael thread that think that the problem is solely the RBs and think of the OL as so dominant that the loss of Romo/Dez doesn't matter. The RBs aren't Murray of 2014, but I don't think Murray of 2014 would be doing well right now.
I think it's a combination of everything. The OL doesn't quite look as good as last year. No Romo or Dez to keep the defenses away from the box. And none of these RBs are anything close to what Murray was last season. Seems like Randle/McFadden might break off a good run here and there, but the majority of their carries don't seem to go for much more than a yard or 2. As long as Weeden and maybe even Cassel are in there, defenses are just going to load the box and force either QB to beat them with the rag tag group of WRs.

Dallas' offense is awash with problems right now. But, IMO, Randle's / McFadden's inability to consistently get 2/3/4 yards by running through arm tackles is certainly among them. The occasional long runs are great -- but the consistent three yards and a cloud of dust are far more essential for the health of an offense. Eddie George had a lot more career carries than did Jerious Norwood for a reason.

What after Philbin gets canned? Gray could just as easily take over that backfield as Michael. At least get better for a guy coming off a 3 TD game.
This isn't really the thread to have this conversation but I'm keeping my eye on that situation in Miami as well.I have a lot more respect for Miller then I do for Randall though.
Stedy, what are your thoughts going forward on this RB situation? I think the Cmike talk has cooled a little bit, but do you still think its only a matter of time before he becomes the starter?

Was there any word on why Randle saw no work in the 4th?
a really bad decision that led to a fumble on the goal line that was overturned....he got lucky that it was reversed but the coaches obviously thought it wasn't a good play.

a really bad decision that led to a fumble on the goal line that was overturned....he got lucky that it was reversed but the coaches obviously thought it wasn't a good play.
That's kind of presumptuous. I mean, yeah that is likely the reason but no official word has been given, as far as I know, as to why he was not used.

IMO I don't think so, he was yanked in favor of McFadden and Dunbar the game before too when he went off. It's what the team is doing. McFadden is getting at least one series in the 1st half and he seems to come in for the last series of the 3rd quarter and then he and Dunbar take over for the final 2-3 series. Meanwhile Weeden is also being asked to throw because they are falling behind, which generally results in incompletions at some point, and meanwhile the defense is letting the other team hold the ball late. It's not a good recipe for the team or Randle.

The one saving grace is what happens when Romo and Dez get back very late in the season, especially Romo. I just don't know if Randle has his job after what will surely be a NE blowout and the bye.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's kind of presumptuous. I mean, yeah that is likely the reason but no official word has been given, as far as I know, as to why he was not used.
Joseph Randle - RB - Cowboys
Joseph Randle had just four carries in the second half of the Cowboys' Week 4 loss to the Saints.
Randle was basically benched after almost fumbling while trying to reach the ball into the end zone early in the second quarter. He scored on a similar play Week 3 against the Falcons. Coach Jason Garrett said after the game the coaching staff discussed how "dangerous" reaching the ball over the goal line could be with Randle leading up to the game, and it was clear he was not happy Randle attempted the move again. "It worked out for us tonight," Garrett said, "but we don't want to do that in that situation." Darren McFadden saw all 10 of his carries after the touchdown. Randle will likely remain the lead back in Dallas, but that will not be the case if he continues to ignore his coaches.

Good point, and that is not surprising as an in game approach. (Other RBs did not practice those routes/plays during the week so the play calling went elsewhere.) Moving forward someone in the current backfield has to assume a portion of those targets if Dunbar misses significant time, right?

It's going to take a while. The Boys will be down early and by a lot vs the Pats, then the bye. Then coming out of the bye at 2-3 anything is possible. I'm guessing McFadden isn't a bad 1 week play for those in need of a bye week fill-in. I think he will be getting the receiving work and there should be a lot of it. I just see that as the Cowboys' coaching staff's thinking, because I thought Randle looked good catching the ball in week 1 including a very nice one handed catch and run.

Good point, and that is not surprising as an in game approach. (Other RBs did not practice those routes/plays during the week so the play calling went elsewhere.) Moving forward someone in the current backfield has to assume a portion of those targets if Dunbar misses significant time, right?
Might be a long shot and based on their backfield, they may not do it, but Pierre Thomas is hanging out there. Not sure the Cowboys would go that route, but he could be an option if they are desperate.

MattFancy said:
32 Counter Pass said:
Might be a long shot and based on their backfield, they may not do it, but Pierre Thomas is hanging out there. Not sure the Cowboys would go that route, but he could be an option if they are desperate.
They already have 4 rbs active which was too many. Losing Dunbar, I know no one really fits his exact role, but I highly doubt they bring another RB in and keep dressing 4 each week. Michael should be active every week now and may even get some early down work with Randle maybe being used more on 3rd downs, and DMC's roll remaining the same.

Given Randles boneheaded play at the goal line I'm curious if he will lose goal line carries. Two weeks in a row they have talked to him, based on the above information.

I could see a scenario where they continue the one series for each rotation sort of thing, McFadden as the passing down RB (did well in blitz pick up last night) and CM as the goal line back.

It's frustrating having a dog in this fight. Wish I could just walk away from it... Not until the bye weeks at least

Given Randles boneheaded play at the goal line I'm curious if he will lose goal line carries. Two weeks in a row they have talked to him, based on the above information.

I could see a scenario where they continue the one series for each rotation sort of thing, McFadden as the passing down RB (did well in blitz pick up last night) and CM as the goal line back.

It's frustrating having a dog in this fight. Wish I could just walk away from it... Not until the bye weeks at least
I definitely think it's a possibility especially since they see CM's strength as a short yardage runner.

Looking at CBS's most deactivated players, the difference between a player starting last week vs this week:

Current Week - Percentage of leagues that have the player starting on a roster for this week.
Next Week - Percentage of leagues that have the player starting on a roster for the upcoming week (updated several times a day)
Excluding injured players (eg Karlos) and those on bye (Car, NYJ, MIN, MIA), Ryan Matthews is first (-25), then Thomas Rawls (-18), then at no. 3 it's Joe Randle (-14). Carlos Hyde (-13) is next fwiw.

The first two could be excluded too since they are players who were subbing in for injured players who are now returning, so in a way Randle and Hyde are nos. 1-2 most deactivated.

Looking at CBS's most deactivated players, the difference between a player starting last week vs this week:

Current Week - Percentage of leagues that have the player starting on a roster for this week.

Next Week - Percentage of leagues that have the player starting on a roster for the upcoming week (updated several times a day)
Excluding injured players (eg Karlos) and those on bye (Car, NYJ, MIN, MIA), Ryan Matthews is first (-25), then Thomas Rawls (-18), then at no. 3 it's Joe Randle (-14). Carlos Hyde (-13) is next fwiw.

The first two could be excluded too since they are players who were subbing in for injured players who are now returning, so in a way Randle and Hyde are nos. 1-2 most deactivated.
If it works like the stock market now is the week to play them.

Cowboys RB Joseph Randle remains starter heading into New England gameJoseph Randle's aversion to keeping his feet at the goal line and his penchant for losing yards in the second half has made him a lightening rod coming out of the team's second consecutive loss.

But Jason Garrett said Wednesday that Randle will keep his job as the team's starting running back for Sunday's game against the New England Patriots.

"Yeah, we don't anticipate any changes that way,'' Garrett said.

Randle is the team's leading rusher with 59 carries for 229 yards and four touchdowns. That's more than twice as much as Darren McFadden has collected.

The issue has been what happens after halftime. Randle has carried the ball eight times for a loss of four yards the last two games. Only two of his six carries have gained yardage. He has carried the ball 23 times for 43 yards in the second half this season and has touched the ball in the fourth quarter only twice.

The Cowboys inability to sustain their ground game in the second half is a significant factor in this losing streak.

And notice that Garrett, when asked if Randle will start, said he didn't anticipate any "changes that way.'' What Randle's role will be going forward with the loss of Lance Dunbar for the season and the inclusion of Christine Michael in the running back committee is something to monitor.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/20151007-cowboys-rb-joseph-randle-remains-starter-heading-into-new-england-game.ece

Ah yes nothing like the ol' vote of confidence.

I definitely think it's a possibility especially since they see CM's strength as a short yardage runner.
I thought his strength was getting people's hopes up then not delivering.

Have to laugh, I can't trade him away yet FBGs has him ranked no. 10 RB for week 5 (Tremblay) (email). No one has any idea I'm offering a top-10 RB here.

eta - Dodds has him at 13 this week (0.5 ppr). Bloom has him at no. 39 (0.5 ppr).

I am not sure if people should be disappointed in Randles performance to this point or not. Currently he is RB6 in standard scoring leagues and RB8 in PPR leagues. Randle is 19th overall in combined yards and 4TD,

The most recent game has to be a concern due to them shutting down his opportunities early on in the game. For FF he still has outperformed his draft position after four weeks.

randles usage is a head scratcher, always disappearing in the second half while mcfadden looks like hes running in mud.

Randle's rapport with his coaches is deeply concerning. Seems to fade to the bench in the 2nd half every week. Not even trying to use him. Very concerning.

This might be surprising to some but Dallas is actually no. 5 in most FFP per game by RBs.

If someone, anyone, Randle or Michael, or whoever, can take over for most of the work, that's a big deal.

This might be surprising to some but Dallas is actually no. 5 in most FFP per game by RBs.

If someone, anyone, Randle or Michael, or whoever, can take over for most of the work, that's a big deal.
In standard scoring Randle is RB 7 right now in total points. In PPR scoring he is RB 10.

On a per game basis he hasn't been as good only having one big week with the other four games only scoring near 10 points.

Dallas has a bye this week so Randle will fall back in total points into the RB 2 area. However given his ADP even if people drafted him in round 3 (which I think was too high to consider him) he has outperformed that draft position. He just hasn't played well enough to establish himself as the guy yet, so people have to wonder if he ever will.

I think the expectations got ahead of the potential. Randle has performed better than I expected. If he had done better than this the job would be locked up and people would feel they got a bargain.

In standard scoring Randle is RB 7 right now in total points. In PPR scoring he is RB 10.

On a per game basis he hasn't been as good only having one big week with the other four games only scoring near 10 points.

Dallas has a bye this week so Randle will fall back in total points into the RB 2 area. However given his ADP even if people drafted him in round 3 (which I think was too high to consider him) he has outperformed that draft position. He just hasn't played well enough to establish himself as the guy yet, so people have to wonder if he ever will.

I think the expectations got ahead of the potential. Randle has performed better than I expected. If he had done better than this the job would be locked up and people would feel they got a bargain.
really? He has one game over 70 yards, none over 90 and is running for a 3.9 ypc. His monster td game has masked an otherwise pedestrian season which is why he's in a battle and may lose his job to Michael.

He's on pace for 1200 total yards, 13 tds with 33 receptions. I don't know how people can be unhappy with his production so far for fantasy. It's the risk going forward that devalues him, not what he's done so far.

I'll take the under on both. He's got his shot early which is what owners hoped for but he hasn't taken a hold of the situation. I'd be packaging him up but it's probably too late. His ppg has been 10, 6, 28, 8 and 7. He's had one great game, one decent and the rest poor. That's why he's in line to be replaced.

really? He has one game over 70 yards, none over 90 and is running for a 3.9 ypc. His monster td game has masked an otherwise pedestrian season which is why he's in a battle and may lose his job to Michael.
Really what? :unsure:

Most of what I said is just a statement of the obvious. But yes people seem disappointed with Randle when I am not sure if it is fair for them to be.

I have always viewed Randle as a stash in dynasty that you would trade at some point. I never really considered him a long term answer at the RB position that the Cowboys seemed to kind of punt on addressing in the offseason. The situation hasn't been as good as I think people hoped in part due to injuries to Romo and Dez giving less for opposing defenses to worry about.

I was hoping he'd take hold of the starting job but he hasn't done much to stick out other than one good half of football against Atlanta. It hasn't helped that Dallas has no passing game without Romo and Dez to keep defenses honest. If Michael is able to produce I don't think Dallas will think twice about reducing Randle's role.

I'll take the under on both. He's got his shot early which is what owners hoped for but he hasn't taken a hold of the situation. I'd be packaging him up but it's probably too late. His ppg has been 10, 6, 28, 8 and 7. He's had one great game, one decent and the rest poor. That's why he's in line to be replaced.
Again usage. What is the complaint of people who have seen him play? He's not a superstar? He's not Murray leading the NFL, while saddled with Weeden and Street out wide? He's been perfect from the goal line, and he has missed how much when asked on 3rd and short?

The numbers after the first week are largely almost all in 3 quarters of play and with no 3rd down work. I get Dunbar, fast, quick, effective RB, but the use of McFadden has been ludicrous. Randle can do more than Mac.

The starting job would be totally his if Michael wasn't around. It's the promise of Michael's talent that is the main driver of complaints about Randle. When I say that, remember, Weeden, Street out wide, leaving Williams draped, is what he's dealing with.

eta - btw yes it's too late to deal him.

Randle has gotten one carry (1) on 3rd down, of any kind, all year long. It was 3rd & 1, no gain. That was actually slightly better than Michael's first attempt. He has 14 1st down carries on 1st or 2nd down.

He has had 4 carries from inside the opponents' 5 yard line, he has converted on 3 of them.

phowler13 said:
Anyone been able to trade him or trade for him? Trying to gauge value.
I traded him away for Hopkins after week 2.
Has anyone checked on the former Hopkins owner lately? Might want to keep him away from sharp objects and things that go bang..
Randle opened up that week 3 with 3 touchdowns. I was close to sharp objects for a split second. Hopkins had 101 yards and a TD that day as well, so I managed to survive. It's definitely been a nice trade and way more fun not to have to watch the Dallas run game or suffer through the C Mike news.

Users who are viewing this thread