What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[DYNASTY] Is Jonathan Stewart a buy low? (4 Viewers)

Run blocking is Carolina's biggest flaw so far:

http://espn.go.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/8781/run-blocking-is-carolinas-biggest-flaw-so-far

Excerpt:

Jonathan Stewart led Carolina with 37 yards against the Lions. Twenty-two of those came on one run.

"And those yards were all from second effort on his part,'' Kalil said. "Imagine if we could block a little better for him how many yards he could get.''

"Jonathan, he just ran his butt off. Even on the [2-yard] touchdown, he had three guys on him. If you watch film on it, it's unbelievable. We've got to do a better job of blocking for him.''

The Panthers have to do a better job of run blocking all the way around to remain the ball-control team they want to be. An average of 87.5 yards in two games for 3.1 yards per carry won't cut it for a team that averaged 126.6 yards a game, 4.2 yards per carry, in 2013.

Take away the 22-yard run, and Stewart had 15 yards on his remaining 14 carries. You do the math. Not good.
I absolutely refuse to take away the 22 yard run.
Gotta love when someone uses an argument like that.

"If you take away all this guy's best plays, he totally sucks!"

True of every player in the league.

Kalil said they didn't block a lick for him and everything he got was on his own. I only saw the TD run, but it certainly applies on that play.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do you have to take away a 22 yard run? He has 24 carries for 57 yards on the year. INCLUDING the 22 yard run.

He hasn't averaged 4ypc since 2011. He actually has the same YPC as Trent Richardson since Richardson entered the league in 2012.

The haters are :scared: praying he injures his ankle soon so they can pile on the negativity again.
No need to hope for an injury. DeAngelo will be back to kill all of Stewart's value either this week or next. And really, dude, Stewart's under 100 YFS total on the year on 2.375 yards per. Pretty sure the "haters" are winning at this point.
It's easier for EBF to hide behind the couch and toss out statements though...remember when he continually posted this :drive: after his good preseason game? Can't have it both ways. "His guys" Jstew/Gerhart/Michael are having great seasons though :yucky:

Williams (thigh) was spotted participating in Fridays workout, as was fullback Mike Tolbert (chest), according to Joe Person of the Charlotte Observer.

Williams was inactive for Sundays win vs. Detroit because of his injury. Tolbert caught three passes in the victory over the Lions, but he sat out the first practice of this week, and he was limited on Thursday.

The presence of Williams and Tolbert could be a good sign for Carolina as it readies for Sunday nights game vs. Pittsburgh. The Steelers have surrendered 348 combined rushing yards in the first two weeks of the season. Williams, Tolbert and Jonathan Stewart are the Panthers top three options in the backfield.

I never thought I would see the day when Jonathan Stewart would be deemed the only healthy back on the Panthers roster.

Run blocking is Carolina's biggest flaw so far:

http://espn.go.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/8781/run-blocking-is-carolinas-biggest-flaw-so-far

Excerpt:

Jonathan Stewart led Carolina with 37 yards against the Lions. Twenty-two of those came on one run.

"And those yards were all from second effort on his part,'' Kalil said. "Imagine if we could block a little better for him how many yards he could get.''

"Jonathan, he just ran his butt off. Even on the [2-yard] touchdown, he had three guys on him. If you watch film on it, it's unbelievable. We've got to do a better job of blocking for him.''

The Panthers have to do a better job of run blocking all the way around to remain the ball-control team they want to be. An average of 87.5 yards in two games for 3.1 yards per carry won't cut it for a team that averaged 126.6 yards a game, 4.2 yards per carry, in 2013.

Take away the 22-yard run, and Stewart had 15 yards on his remaining 14 carries. You do the math. Not good.
I absolutely refuse to take away the 22 yard run.
Be as stubborn as you like but you will miss good information...

Putting him in at flex over Chris Johnson. He has been waiting his entire career for this opportunity. Salvageable last week with a TD, let's see what he does with this start. It could be his last.

Looked like his knee to me. If it were his ankle he would have limped off. Appeared to be walking with out a hitch but gingerly. Knowing him, probably a season ending ACL tear.

After years of disappointment and now this, I am happy to say that I will never start JStew again. In fact, he will never be on my team again. This way i wont have the urge to put him in when the top 3 rb's on his team are hurt.

RIP JStew

Rotoworld:

Jonathan Stewart left Sunday night's week 3 game against the Steelers with a right knee contusion.

His return is questionable. Stewart was injured on a hit by Steelers FS Mike Mitchell in the third quarter. With DeAngelo Williams and Fozzy Whittaker already injured, it leaves the Panthers with just Darrin Reaves and Mike Tolbert at running back. Stewart had eight touches for 50 yards before exiting.

Sep 21 - 10:43 PM

Rotoworld:

Jonathan Stewart left Sunday night's week 3 game against the Steelers with a right knee contusion.

His return is questionable. Stewart was injured on a hit by Steelers FS Mike Mitchell in the third quarter. With DeAngelo Williams and Fozzy Whittaker already injured, it leaves the Panthers with just Darrin Reaves and Mike Tolbert at running back. Stewart had eight touches for 50 yards before exiting.

Sep 21 - 10:43 PM
It took Michael Dyer a month to heal from that. You know what that means.

Pencil Stewart into your starting lineups for Halloween weekend.

:drive:

Lasted longer than he usually does. You Stewart owners, if there are any, have that to hang your hat on.

Stewart is perhaps the greatest FF tease of our generation. It's pretty comical at this point.

Stewart is perhaps the greatest FF tease of our generation. It's pretty comical at this point.
He stopped being a tease several years ago. Even when he's healthy now he looks slow and overweight. I actually mistook him for Mike Tolbert a couple of times tonight.

Rotoworld:

The Charlotte Observer suggests Jonathan Stewart's knee sprain could cost him a month.

Specifically, beat writer Joe Person "wouldn't be surprised" if the injury cost Stewart four weeks after he missed five games last year with a sprained MCL. Person refers to Stewart's latest sprain as "severe." Stewart is on the verge of being droppable in 12- and 14-team leagues. With DeAngelo Williams (thigh) also hobbled and Mike Tolbert (hairline leg fracture) out indefinitely, UDFA Darrin Reaves is worth grabbing as an RB5 fantasy stash.

Source: Joe Person on Twitter

Sep 22 - 4:27 PM

Coach Ron Rivera said Monday that running back Jonathan Stewart will be reevaluated on Friday with a severely sprained right knee.

Rivera said while the injuries are another setback for Carolina's struggling running game, he added that the MRIs on the players indicated "nothing is catastrophic — and that's the best part."
At least it's not catastrophic...

Users who are viewing this thread