What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

00's Mixtape Draft (4 Viewers)

On Abrantes, I really liked the songs by Exploding Hearts, Bouncing Souls, and of course Secret Machines. Prolly my favorite mix thus far, but I'm only through 5 so far. I've liked all of them.

As I wound up importing a bunch of duplicate songs into my itunes library, does anyone know any easy way to permanently delete songs? I know that Itunes can find dups and that I can delete them from my library, but they wind up re-appearing later as the MP3's stay on my hard drive. Deleting on both itunes and folder view is the way I do it now and it's a PITA.

On Abrantes, I really liked the songs by Exploding Hearts, Bouncing Souls, and of course Secret Machines. Prolly my favorite mix thus far, but I'm only through 5 so far. I've liked all of them. As I wound up importing a bunch of duplicate songs into my itunes library
I was kind of worried about this, too.

On Abrantes, I really liked the songs by Exploding Hearts, Bouncing Souls, and of course Secret Machines. Prolly my favorite mix thus far, but I'm only through 5 so far. I've liked all of them. As I wound up importing a bunch of duplicate songs into my itunes library, does anyone know any easy way to permanently delete songs? I know that Itunes can find dups and that I can delete them from my library, but they wind up re-appearing later as the MP3's stay on my hard drive. Deleting on both itunes and folder view is the way I do it now and it's a PITA.
So this may not be the best way, but it is how I do it:First I put the downloaded mix folders into my iTunes music folder. Then I create a playlist in itunes called "NV's mix" or whatever, and drag the folder there so that all the songs from the mix are in the playlist, and only those songs are in the playlist. Then if the mix creator didn't already uniquely tag their files, I select all and change their album name or genre or whatever to "NV's mix," in order to distinguish those music files from the duplicates already on my computer.To delete duplicates I then go to the main library view and search for "NV's mix" - only the songs from the mix show up. I select and delete the songs that I already have or don't want to keep. Since I am deleting from the main library and the songs are in my main iTunes folder, iTunes asks me if I want to delete the files as well, and I say yes.Having the tunes in the playlist also makes it easier for uploading them to my iPod, as I just drag the playlist onto my iPod.

Last edited by a moderator:
On Abrantes, I really liked the songs by Exploding Hearts, Bouncing Souls, and of course Secret Machines. Prolly my favorite mix thus far, but I'm only through 5 so far. I've liked all of them. As I wound up importing a bunch of duplicate songs into my itunes library, does anyone know any easy way to permanently delete songs? I know that Itunes can find dups and that I can delete them from my library, but they wind up re-appearing later as the MP3's stay on my hard drive. Deleting on both itunes and folder view is the way I do it now and it's a PITA.
So this may not be the best way, but it is how I do it:First I put the downloaded mix folders into my iTunes music folder. Then I create a playlist in itunes called "NV's mix" or whatever, and drag the folder there so that all the songs from the mix are in the playlist, and only those songs are in the playlist. Then if the mix creator didn't already uniquely tag their files, I select all and change their album name or genre or whatever to "NV's mix," in order to distinguish those music files from the duplicates already on my computer.To delete duplicates I then go to the main library view and search for "NV's mix" - only the songs from the mix show up. I select and delete the songs that I already have or don't want to keep. Since I am deleting from the main library and the songs are in my main iTunes folder, iTunes asks me if I want to delete the files as well, and I say yes.Having the tunes in the playlist also makes it easier for uploading them to my iPod, as I just drag the playlist onto my iPod.
Well played.

The Future Champs said:
I just bundled my mp3s into a zip folder and stuck the appropriate # in front of each title. The mix works better without cross fading between tracks, so don't use itunes to play.

Introducing "son of pop"

http://www.mediafire.com/?djywzzym42d

PS Could someone please confirm that this works?

edited and corrected :thumbup: to add that all important link :bag:
bumping due to all important link correction. Drinking and posting don't mix.

I do it similarly only my tag on the playlists is in the "grouping" column. That way I can keep albums and genres etc consistent with everything else but can easily find or hide the tags by choosing to view or not view the grouping column.

here's some stuff that was still in my predraft text file that didn't make the cut for one reason or another.

maybe I'll make a bonus mix too.

Green Day - Macy's Day Parade

Green Day - Boulevard of Broken Dreams

A Perfect Circle - Orestes

Cake - Comfort Eagle

Cake - Short Skirt / Long Jacket

Cowboy Mouth - Jenny Says

Get Up Kids - Close to Me

Gorillaz - Dirty Harry

Gorillaz - El Manana

Gorillaz - Novemer Has Come

Gorillaz - O Green World

The Shins - young Pilgrims

System of a Down - Bounce

Hot Hot Heat - Goodnight Goodnight

Kings of Leon - Slow Night, So Long

Kings of Leon - Use Somebody

Stars - Set Yourself On Fire

Stars - Your Ex-Lover is Dead

The Streets - Dry Your Eyes

The Streets - It was Supposed to Be So Easy

Tegan and Sara - Speak Slow

Flaming Lips - Fight Test

Gomez - Detroit Swing 66

Death Cab for Cutie - The Sound of Settling

Death Cab for Cutie - Expo '86

Death Cab for Cutie - Tiny Vessles

Death Cab for Cutie - We Looked Like Giants

Death Cab for Cutie - Lack of Color

The Eels - Rock Hard Times

The Eels - Dirty Girl

The Eels - Lone Wolf

The Black Keys - When the Lights Go Out

Franz Ferdinand - The Dark of the Matinee

The Decemberists - 16 Military Wives

The Decemberists - Sons and Daughters

The Decemberists - Crane Wife 3

Bloc Party - Price of Gasoline

Bright Eyes - First Day of My Life

Ladytron - International Dateline

Mike Doughty - Madeline and Nine

Mike Doughty - Grey Ghost

Les Savy Fav - Pots&Pans

Menomena - The Pelican

Menomena - Rotten Hell

Sufjan Stevens - Come on! Feel the Illinoise!

Sufjan Stevens - Decatur, or, Round of Applause for Your Step Mother!

Sufjan Stevens - Chicago

Sufjan Stevens - They Are Night Zombies!! They Are Neighbors!! They Have Come Back From the Dead!! Ahhhhh!

We Are Scientists - This Scene is Dead

Man Man - Engrish Bwudd

Raconteurs - Level

Raconteurs - Intimate Secretary

Raconteurs - Call It A Day

Raconteurs - Store Bought Bones

The Rapture - Get Myself Into it

The Sounds - Seven Days a Week

The Sounds - Song Wih a Mission

The Sounds - 24 Hours

Thome Yorke - Harrowdown Hill

Thome Yorke - Black Swan

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Cheated Hearts

The Avett Brothers - Die Die Die

Kaiser Chiefs - Ruby

Of Montreal - The Past is a Grotesque Animal

Of Montreal - Wraith Pinned to the Mist and Other Games

Peter Bjorn And John - Young Folks

Black Kids - Love Me Already

Flight of the Conchords - Hiphopopotamus Vs. Rhymenocerous

Atlas Sound - Walkabout

Fever Ray - Triangle Walks

The Thermals - Test Pattern

Completely unsolicited review of Eephus' mix:

1 Gomez --- Shot Shot ……… 145 sec.

Liked this one, good opener, not sure I'll listen to it too often but I'll likely keep it on the iPod.

2 Gorillaz --- Feel Good Inc. ……… 221

3 Amerie --- 1 Thing ………. 238

These are two of my favourite pop songs from the decade. Both are really good, and different from most of what's out there but still managed to get a good deal of mainstream airplay and I still listen to both regularly.

4 Buraka Som Sistema feat. Pongolove --- Kalemba (Wegue Wegue) ……… 233

5 Panjabi MC feat. Jay-Z --- Beware of the Boys (Mundian To Bach Ke) ……… 239

Enjoyed these both as well, particularly the Punjabi MC/Jay-Z song, which I'd heard before but forgotten about. It's really good. I'll go back and listen to these again for sure.

6 Mystikal feat. Pharell --- Bouncin' Back ……… 258

7 DJ Jazzy Jeff feat. J-Live --- Practice ……… 250

8 N.E.R.D. --- Things Are Getting Better ……… 255

None of these did too much for me. Not sure if it was the songs themselves, or I just can't stand to listen to 5 rap songs in a row. In either case, "Practise" in particular couldn't end soon enough.

9 The Dead Weather --- Hang You from the Heavens ……… 217

10 Living Things --- I Owe ……… 180

Enjoyed both of these. I'd obviously heard the Dead Weather song before, it's not my favourite on the album but it's pretty good.

11 The Boxer Rebellion --- Watermelon ……… 206

Didn't do much for me.

12 Tsar --- Calling All Destroyers ……… 202

Really enjoyed this.

13 The Gaslight Anthem --- The '59 Sound ……… 190

14 The Exploding Hearts --- Modern Kicks ……… 198

Great songs. Made me want to listen to both of these respective albums again.

15 Florence + The Machine --- Kiss With A Fist ……… 124

16 The Fratellis --- Chelsea Dagger ……… 215

Both good songs, but there are other songs I like better by these artists.

17 Arctic Monkeys --- A Certain Romance ……… 324

Great, great, great song. Obviously from the Jarvis Cocker school of British social commentary. Probably their best song, but I really like all the Arctics songs that were taken in this draft. They have a few top notch singles and they all got picked.

18 Pela --- Waiting on the Stairs ……… 302

Good song, not particularly memorable, IMO

19 The Drones --- Shark Fin Blues ……… 343

This was good, I guess I should check this band out. I thought going by their name they'd be droney :shurg:

20 Sun Kil Moon --- Salvador Sanchez ……… 389

This is pretty good. I think I'm the only one in the world who didn't like April. This is better for sure, but I'm still not sure I'll ever be a SKM fan.

21 The National --- Slow Show ……… 250

22 Band Of Horses --- Detlef Schrempf ……… 206

Great bands, where it's hard to go wrong, no matter what song you choose. Both good choices here IMO (though neither would be my first for these bands). Mix clearly slowing down towards the finish with much slower paced songs than say "Feel Good Inc" and "1 Thing"

23 Ryan Adams --- Come Pick Me Up ……… 318

I liked this better when it was a Superchunk album.

24 Beck --- Chemtrails ……… 280

Parts of this are a bit too Radiohead-y for my liking.

25 Johnny Cash & Joe Strummer --- Redemption Song ……… 207

Obviously a good song. Maybe Rihanna's version will make the '10s mixtape draft

The Hiphopopatamus vs Rhymenocerous could be the song of the decade.
really wanted to fit it in, but everytime I put a song like that in my mixes I just end up skipping it at least half of the time.I got an awesome shirt though with a hippo and rhino dressed up like run dmc and holding ghetto blasters.

The Hiphopopatamus vs Rhymenocerous could be the song of the decade.
really wanted to fit it in, but everytime I put a song like that in my mixes I just end up skipping it at least half of the time.I got an awesome shirt though with a hippo and rhino dressed up like run dmc and holding ghetto blasters.
I do the same thing with "The Most Beautiful Girl in the Room" on one of my playlists.

On Abrantes, I really liked the songs by Exploding Hearts, Bouncing Souls, and of course Secret Machines. Prolly my favorite mix thus far, but I'm only through 5 so far. I've liked all of them.

As I wound up importing a bunch of duplicate songs into my itunes library, does anyone know any easy way to permanently delete songs? I know that Itunes can find dups and that I can delete them from my library, but they wind up re-appearing later as the MP3's stay on my hard drive. Deleting on both itunes and folder view is the way I do it now and it's a PITA.
So this may not be the best way, but it is how I do it:First I put the downloaded mix folders into my iTunes music folder. Then I create a playlist in itunes called "NV's mix" or whatever, and drag the folder there so that all the songs from the mix are in the playlist, and only those songs are in the playlist. Then if the mix creator didn't already uniquely tag their files, I select all and change their album name or genre or whatever to "NV's mix," in order to distinguish those music files from the duplicates already on my computer.

To delete duplicates I then go to the main library view and search for "NV's mix" - only the songs from the mix show up. I select and delete the songs that I already have or don't want to keep. Since I am deleting from the main library and the songs are in my main iTunes folder, iTunes asks me if I want to delete the files as well, and I say yes.

Having the tunes in the playlist also makes it easier for uploading them to my iPod, as I just drag the playlist onto my iPod.
Thanks! - I'll try this. Currently, my music library isn't in the iTunes folder - is that required to allow iTunes to do a full delete? maybe that is my problem. Also, I thought if I allowed iTunes to manage my library, then iTunes will reorganize everything into 1000+ folders and I want to avoid this.

"Good Music For People Who Love Bad Music"

25 . The Whigs - Right Hand on My Heart (4:14)
First listen and I love this song. There were only 5 songs on here I didn't have already (the others were "Sugarfoot", "Sad Sad City" and "Aw #### Man" and "The Clap"). This Whigs song is clearly my favourite of them though, downloading Mission Control right now.Obviously lots of other songs on here I love, esp. "The Modern Leper" "The Funeral", "Fell in Love With a Girl" and "Ready for the Floor", which would have been my first choices for those bands.

Also other undeniable songs like "Float On", "Take Me Out", "If I Ever Feel Better", "Stuck Between Stations", etc...

I think I'm going to jump to Ahrn's mix next, fully expecting to crash out halfway through the rap section.

Shame no Islands songs were taken. I considered a bunch, but figured I already had the Unicorns on there. They're awesome, though.

KumeriMix

1) Carla Bruni, Quelqu'un m'a dit

2) Grandaddy, Now It's On

3) Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Whatever Happened to My Rock 'N Roll [Punk Song]

4) Graham Coxon, Spectacular

5) The Twilight Singers, Teenage Wristband

6) Spiritualized, Do It All Over Again

7) The Flaming Lips, Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, Pt. 1

8) Bjork, Hidden Place

9) David Byrne & Brian Eno, Strange Overtones

10) OutKast, Hey Ya

11) Kings of Leon, The Bucket

12) The Strokes, Someday

13) The Shins, Kissing the Lipless

14) U2, In a Little While

15) Jay-Z, 99 Problems

16) Queens of the Stone Age, No One Knows

17) The Libertines, Can't Stand Me Now

18) ...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead, Worlds Apart

19) Wilco, Jesus, Etc.

20) My Morning Jacket, Lowdown

21) Eels, Fresh Feeling

22) Feist, 1234

23) Badly Drawn Boy, Once Around the Block

24) The Gutter Twins, Each to Each

25) Doves, There Goes the Fear

26) Cake, End of the Movie

17 Mixes done so far

Code:
Abranteshttp://www.mediafire.com/?mmkz2bmf4zvHounds of Lovehttp://www.zshare.net/audio/72109586435516bc/Professor Shttp://www.megaupload.com/?d=XLJU1VPRPostradamushttp://www.megaupload.com/?d=QA0WCC2VD_Househttp://www.megaupload.com/?d=KE1FW3YTTiananmen Tankhttp://www.adrive.com/public/68006d3fc00d0278cb11d30c0c818ba833926456ecbe01e6f37a932106d5d1b9.htmlpiratemikehttp://www.mediafire.com/?5zngjmyyzy2John Maddens Lunchboxhttp://www.megaupload.com/?d=STFMY0TPDisco Stuhttp://www.mediafire.com/?d2ykuzfown1AhrnCityPahnderhttp://www.mediafire.com/?ooknjl0tnokEephushttp://www.megaupload.com/?d=HP5T34JSNorthern Voicehttp://www.mediafire.com/?egohtzwzln1AcerFChttp://www.megaupload.com/?d=899ZYJGWvalencehttp://www.mediafire.com/?uzng2fgrqwhKarmaPolicehttp://www.megaupload.com/?d=AXZFBL5KThe Future Champshttp://www.zshare.net/audio/72109586435516bc/Uncle Humunahttp://www.megaupload.com/?d=EXGG8ZH9Kumericahttp://www.megaupload.com/?d=K52LZ14I
Updated

in case you guys don't already have it, Jdownloader is great for grabbing multiple files from places like megaupload, zshare, etc.

streamlines everything and you don't have to deal with crappy websites or potential virii from places like megaupload.

Alright, so I can't get enough of sun Kil Moon. Especially Salvador Sanchez. The mystic fuzzy guitars with the slow/fast mash in the middle is exactly what I love and why i found so much good indie music in the 90s draft. I've listened to a lot of his stuff so far, to the detriment of listening to other mixes, and it's outstanding. His covers of Modest Mouse are great, I even had to listen to the original to remind me what it was like after I was done. Thumbs up to Salvador!

Any verdicts on Two Gallants yet?

Alright, so I can't get enough of sun Kil Moon. Especially Salvador Sanchez. The mystic fuzzy guitars with the slow/fast mash in the middle is exactly what I love and why i found so much good indie music in the 90s draft. I've listened to a lot of his stuff so far, to the detriment of listening to other mixes, and it's outstanding. His covers of Modest Mouse are great, I even had to listen to the original to remind me what it was like after I was done. Thumbs up to Salvador!Any verdicts on Two Gallants yet?
Love Sun Kil Moon. Kozalak solo stuff is also great.

Alright, so I can't get enough of sun Kil Moon. Especially Salvador Sanchez. The mystic fuzzy guitars with the slow/fast mash in the middle is exactly what I love and why i found so much good indie music in the 90s draft. I've listened to a lot of his stuff so far, to the detriment of listening to other mixes, and it's outstanding. His covers of Modest Mouse are great, I even had to listen to the original to remind me what it was like after I was done. Thumbs up to Salvador!Any verdicts on Two Gallants yet?
Love Sun Kil Moon. Kozalak solo stuff is also great.
as is his work w/ the RHPs

Eephus said:
Eephus: You and I have very different taste in music. That said, this mix ends very well. T Tank up next. :rant:
Eephus actually has the least 1 stars for me so far. That Sun Kil Moon song is outstanding.
Agreed on the SKM. But the whole first 2/3 bordered on unlistenable for me.
thanks for listening and sticking with it. I seriously considered going completely pop in my mix because I think eras are defined by what's playing on the radio and blaring from cars and second floor windows, but I didn't want to lose what little hoofcred I have on a mix with Kelly Clarkson, Craig David and Robin Thicke.
I think that's what's wrong with this collection of mixed tapes in general... I sense some fear of including something popular. I'm not sure how many songs are listed total in this draft, but let's say it's 500... the Black Eyed Peas didn't have one of the top 500 songs of this decade? Nobody liked a Nickelback or Taylor Swift song? The American Idol people were huge this decade, weren't they?No big deal, though. I'm finding some stuff I like as I work through these - so far I'm keeping about half of the songs after the first listen through. Acer's been my favorite collection so far.

If anyone listens to my mix please let me know what you think. Unless you didn't like it.

AcerFC said:
KarmaPolice said:
I DLd my max of 4 - Postrad, T.Tank, Ahrns, and DHouse. I'll post comments later after I injest them, but wanted to give props to Ahrn and Tank for making it easy to plop these in the ipod. Wish I was smart enough to retitle all the songs and album titles, etc...Can't wait to listen to the mixes.
Why only 4.
I have stupid satellite internet. They cap the amount of GBs you can download in a month. I am usually toeing the line, so while I could technically download all of them, I would have to space it out quite a bit so I still have a connection. (you don't have internet if you go over the max). Completely lame, hence me usually hitting up the masses to send me CDs if I send them some moola.

Uploading my mix now. Someone's going to have to give it a brief runthrough to make sure the songs work...if not, I'll have to change the file extensions or something.

Eephus said:
Eephus: You and I have very different taste in music. That said, this mix ends very well.

T Tank up next. :rolleyes:
Eephus actually has the least 1 stars for me so far. That Sun Kil Moon song is outstanding.
Agreed on the SKM. But the whole first 2/3 bordered on unlistenable for me.
thanks for listening and sticking with it. I seriously considered going completely pop in my mix because I think eras are defined by what's playing on the radio and blaring from cars and second floor windows, but I didn't want to lose what little hoofcred I have on a mix with Kelly Clarkson, Craig David and Robin Thicke.
I think that's what's wrong with this collection of mixed tapes in general... I sense some fear of including something popular. I'm not sure how many songs are listed total in this draft, but let's say it's 500... the Black Eyed Peas didn't have one of the top 500 songs of this decade? Nobody liked a Nickelback or Taylor Swift song? The American Idol people were huge this decade, weren't they?No big deal, though. I'm finding some stuff I like as I work through these - so far I'm keeping about half of the songs after the first listen through. Acer's been my favorite collection so far.
Uh, #### NO !!!!

You are mostly dealing with music snobs and nerds in here. These aren't meant to be the most popular songs of the decade, but more what you would recommend to others or what you listen to. I'm not going to put some Nickelback on my list just becaue 10million ignorant teenagers listened to them this decade.

I think that's what's wrong with this collection of mixed tapes in general... I sense some fear of including something popular. I'm not sure how many songs are listed total in this draft, but let's say it's 500... the Black Eyed Peas didn't have one of the top 500 songs of this decade? Nobody liked a Nickelback or Taylor Swift song? The American Idol people were huge this decade, weren't they?

No big deal, though. I'm finding some stuff I like as I work through these - so far I'm keeping about half of the songs after the first listen through. Acer's been my favorite collection so far.
Uh, #### NO !!!!

You are mostly dealing with music snobs and nerds in here. These aren't meant to be the most popular songs of the decade, but more what you would recommend to others or what you listen to. I'm not going to put some Nickelback on my list just becaue 10million ignorant teenagers listened to them this decade.
I agree with KP. Didn't want to give the impression that this was overlooked. We need to step it up with the snob backlash in this thread.

I'll give us time to digest these, but thought I'd throw draft idea I've been throwing around (might have posted in another thread too)

How about a "mystery theme" draft? Kind of a combo of the weird category movie drafts. I thought I'd have people submit themes for a mix tape to me via PM. Whoever signs up for the draft gets randomly assigned one of the submitted themes to make a mix tape for. The person who submitted the idea would know why songs are getting drafted, but the rest of the participants wouldn't. Figured all genres/decades would be open, but it might make us think outside of what we normally draft and could churn out some interesting stuff. Would there be any interest in this??

I'll give us time to digest these, but thought I'd throw draft idea I've been throwing around (might have posted in another thread too)

How about a "mystery theme" draft? Kind of a combo of the weird category movie drafts. I thought I'd have people submit themes for a mix tape to me via PM. Whoever signs up for the draft gets randomly assigned one of the submitted themes to make a mix tape for. Figured all genres/decades would be open, but it might make us think outside of what we normally draft and could churn out some interesting stuff. Would there be any interest in this??
Yes, IN

Users who are viewing this thread